Underwater Jet propulsion?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

haha an underwater steam engine would be pretty sweet. and i dont think it would make as much noise as a gasoline engine

hdtran:
you could always resurrect the steam torpedo engine--compressed air (or oxygen) & alcohol burn, mix w/ water to make steam, & run a turbine. 5000 or 6000 yards at 30+ knots...
WOW 30 knots!! I think foot pegs and some sort of windshield/currentshield would definitly be in order for that ride.Also perhaps some control surfaces to steer that BAD-BOY

hdtran:
you could always resurrect the steam torpedo engine--compressed air (or oxygen) & alcohol burn, mix w/ water to make steam, & run a turbine. 5000 or 6000 yards at 30+ knots...

I don't think there was ever a turbine involved in the old Mark 13's and 14's...it would have been hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst agent. When the two are introduced the hydrogen peroxide 'decomposes' into water steam and oxygen which is then funneled through a nozzle giving you directional propulsion...Great idea if you can design a wetsuit to overcome the 650+ degree (celsius) exhaust gas :D

Brewone0to:
WOW 30 knots!! I think foot pegs and some sort of windshield/currentshield would definitly be in order for that ride.Also perhaps some control surfaces to steer that BAD-BOY
When you assemble this bad boy, if there's a subsection with a big red button and Arabic writing on it, you might want to leave that part off.

1RUSTYRIG:
I don't think there was ever a turbine involved in the old Mark 13's and 14's...it would have been hydrogen peroxide and a catalyst agent. When the two are introduced the hydrogen peroxide 'decomposes' into water steam and oxygen which is then funneled through a nozzle giving you directional propulsion...Great idea if you can design a wetsuit to overcome the 650+ degree (celsius) exhaust gas :D

WWII torpedos ran on screws (propellers), not 'rocket' propulsion. I'm also pretty certain about turbine steam, though it could be reciprocating piston steam, until the end of WWII when electric torpedos began to appear (no telltale exhaust trail of bubbles). You can find a good history on US naval torpedoes written by Frederick Milford in Submarine Review.

I'd say your first problem is not the exhaust temp, but the 30+ knot speed. (Hang on to your mask!). Your second problem is the 700-900 lb of high explosive in the torpedo :wink:

hdtran:
WWII torpedos ran on screws (propellers), not 'rocket' propulsion. I'm also pretty certain about turbine steam, though it could be reciprocating piston steam, until the end of WWII when electric torpedos began to appear (no telltale exhaust trail of bubbles). You can find a good history on US naval torpedoes written by Frederick Milford in Submarine Review.

Some german torpedos in WWII ran with compressed air. Engine was "steam"engine and propells. Electric torpedoes came mostly bcs the "invicibility" in daylight. Anyway the comp.air ones were largely used in night raids. Planning a 1st stage regulator using a steamengine to produce LP for the 2nd stage could work as an UW scooter engine. Using CO2 is not in depths.

hdtran:

I'd say your first problem is not the exhaust temp, but the 30+ knot speed. (Hang on to your mask!). Your second problem is the 700-900 lb of high explosive in the torpedo :wink:

Hmmm...I thought that it was straight steam through a nozzle or cone. Wouldn't be the first time I was wrong :D

So if they didn't run rocket style why couldn't they? Check this guys page out http://www.peroxidepropulsion.com/article/5 looks like a pretty simple setup and you could throttle the unit allowing for lower speeds. But like I said, the exhaust gas would be HOT HOT HOT.

TeddyDiver:
Some german torpedos in WWII ran with compressed air. Engine was "steam"engine and propells. Electric torpedoes came mostly bcs the "invicibility" in daylight. Anyway the comp.air ones were largely used in night raids. Planning a 1st stage regulator using a steamengine to produce LP for the 2nd stage could work as an UW scooter engine. Using CO2 is not in depths.

This is getting OT :eyebrow: But most of the US torpedos were 'steam.' A very large proportion of US submarine warfare was in the Pacific theater, and they would attack Japanese shipping and warships in the daytime (much easier to see).

The compressed air torpedo first came out in the 1880's or thereabouts (end of the 19th century, beginning of the 20th). See "Whitehead torpedo" for details.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom