Underwater Ireland: National Geographic

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pilot fish:
Nice link, thanks. What are the depths? Are there dive ops you can rent a drysuit from in each county and what is the cost?

The wrecks vary in depth throughout the country. For example the wreck of the U-boat near Baltimore (I forget the actual U-number) is 38-45m where as the wreck of the Bolivar in Dublin Bay has a max depth of 12m. You will definately find something that suits your level & experience.

The best thing to do would be to find a dive centre in the area you plan to visit (if Dublin, I would recommend Oceandivers). They should be able to provide you with a local orientation, boat trips to wreck etc before recommending another centre in the next place you are visiting.

The temperatures in the Irish Sea range from 6C in winter to 17C in Summer. Due to the Gulf Stream, Atlantic temps are normally slightly higher than this. Therefore a dry-suit is only really needed in winter. Some centres do rent them but you would need to contact centres directly. Generally, divers here use semi-dry suits (two piece 7mm neoprene usually) which are comfortable for the most part of the year. Most centres rent these for around €15. If you're interested in the sites or further info PM me.

mempilot:
Based on the water temp mentioned in the Flash presentation (I think it was 50-53F), I would wear my drysuit with thick undies. But I'm a wimp about being cold.

You and me both honey... thats what drysuits are for...

And that is definitely drysuit water temps...

Kimber

mossym:
not in a drysuit without a pee valve you don't!!

Unless you are a chick...

Kimber - who still suffers from pee-valve envy

Hmmm. My wife and I are headed to Dublin in early June. We weren't planning on bringing
dive gear ... but it sure looks interesting!

Thanks for the link!

And TekDiveGirl -- we're with you -- anything colder than about 70F is Time For A Dry Suit(tm).

Mempilot - Thanks!

Looks a REAL lot like the diving in the Queen Charlottes. I'll have to try it; I have people over there.

May all love you and may God hobble them that don't so you can tell them by their limpin'.

gkndivebum:
Hmmm. My wife and I are headed to Dublin in early June. We weren't planning on bringing
dive gear ... but it sure looks interesting!

Thanks for the link!

And TekDiveGirl -- we're with you -- anything colder than about 70F is Time For A Dry Suit(tm).

Without starting to sound like the Irish Tourist Board you should definately try it out. If you're coming in June, the water temp will have steadily warmed to a balmy 14C (around 60F give or take), so genuinely, most Irish divers will be well out of dry suits and into the semi drys! So if you think a dive is possible, and you insist on your creature comforts, you should pack your dry suits. There are plenty of great sites around the country and you should find a good dive centre reasonably close to where you're staying. If I can be of any help in choosing a location or that just PM me.

If you decide not to bring the gear though you shouldn't find it hard to find the famed Irish craic above water! :coke:

sub

I'm glad you have all enjoyed the link. I sure did! I think a picture is worth a thousand words for sure now!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom