Underwater Gear Replacement

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

chrpai

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I've been diving a BP/W long hose for the past year ( about 100 dives ) but today was the first time I decided to try to remove and replace at dpeth. It went well. Not spectacular but good. It came off easy, I had to try putting it on twice as one of my arms missed the mark the first attempt.

I won't try to pretend that I was maintaining a constant hover with no sculling.... I planted myself on a training platform. Well, my rig was planted. Once I removed my rig I was slightly positively buoyant. If I let go of my rig, I would have gone for a ride (a whole 10' ).

Other then the lift it over my head/shoulders technique, I pretty much worked it out on my own. So what procedures / tips should I know to make it go better?

I have found that is is much easier for me personally to get back into my rig by using the same "roll into it" method that I was taught to replace a weight belt underwater. Most of the time when I try to flip my rig over my head, my rig is too heavy and I am too buoyant and my feet end up going up instead of my rig.

This is just me and may be completely worthless to you. Just thought I would share it.

I really hoped I'd get more feedback.

If most people are like me, they're wondering why you would need to exit your rig and then get back in it at depth.

chrpai

This scenerio has always made me question my weight distribution in that I am thiking I should be close to neut with out kit on and the weight carried perhaps should be more body attached than on the kit. Such that the weight counters the suit and the wing counters the tank. Its a ballancing delima i have never resolved. So far I have been fortunate to be diving warm water so i dont need much suit, Given that,,,,, I will wait for more responces to your post. Granted one should never have to do this but interesting problem just the same given so many videos are out there where folks are removing thier gear to get access to a space and then re rigging.

Pete,

It was mostly skills/confidence building. 13 years ago, in my O/W class, my instructor required that I free dive to 30fsw, don my equipment and then hover. He also required that I be able to jump into the water and don my gear at the surface. I just wanted to make sure that I could do these things still in my BP/W. That and I was solo diving and a little bored. My safety stop was complete and I still had about 1000 psi left... ( and another 3000psi in the AL40 )

Chris

Ahh, gotcha. Cool.

Also, ditching and donning underwater may become necessary to clear an entanglement, such as from fishing line or kelp.

First step is to try to clear the entanglement yourself. Second step is to rely upon your dive buddy to clear it. If those fail, the next step is to ditch, clear the entanglement and then don your gear and swim on.

I think it is an absolutely critical skill. I dive solo (and I guess I am particularly clumsy) but I have gotten line tangled on my yoke dozens of times..Being able to pop the rig off and on and clear the entanglement in less than 60 seconds, makes the whole thing much less stressful.

This is one reason why I do not like using integrated weights if you need more than a few pounds. I don't want to be too light and have a super heavy rig. Only thing I always have to remind myself is to dump some air from the BC.. the last thing you want is to take the tank off and have the entanglement clear and then the rig floats away while you are still on the bottom.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom