Underwater Flashing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi

I use a sony P9, which I think should be substantially similar to the P10. I use a Sea & sea YS 25-DX strobe, and it works well. I guess the more powerful YS 90 would work better, but I'm only guessing on this.

To sync the strobe I have a fibre-optic link that attaches onto the outside of the housing and covers the internal flash. Sea & Sea sell these they give you a template to customise the fibre-optic attachment to your housing (eg Sony/Canon etc). It is done with velcrowhich sounds a bit naff, but works fine.

The P9 DOES pre-flash (so I assume the P10 does too), this means you have to get a strobe that will ignore the pre-flash and fire on the main flash. The Sea and Sea strobes do this (the ones designed for digital use).

The casing for the camera covers the focus illuminator so focussing in the dark is a problem (as ReyeR states).

The external strobe makes a world of difference to the quality of pictures you get from the camera. The only exceptions are really close up in clear water when the internal strobe is OK.

The P9 DOES pre-flash (so I assume the P10 does too), this means you have to get a strobe that will ignore the pre-flash and fire on the main flash. The Sea and Sea strobes do this (the ones designed for digital use).
Thanks MacHeath for clarifying that - I thought it did. Both the YS90DX and the Ikelite manual sensor can be set to ignore pre-flash.
Other tips: keep the camera on macro (flower sign), use a low ASA setting (e.g. 100) and, when using a strobe, dial the flash exposure comp. to as low as possible (enough to trigger the external strobe) - this will help the camera's flash recycle faster (so you're ready for the next shot quicker) and to save battery life.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom