Underwater Flashing!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crispy796

New
Reaction score
Hello, This is my first post so be gentle!:maniac:

I’m getting married in August and have booked a honeymoon in the Maldives and I want to be able to take pictures whilst snorkeling/diving.
I have been looking for a decent Sony digital camera for some time now and have made up my mind on the DSC-P10. Now I’ve done my homework and have fount out the underwater housing I require is the MPK-PHA but here’s where all my research falls down. What underwater flash unit fits this housing and camera? Is there anyone out there who can help me?
:confused:

Hello,

First congrats and welcome to the board. Look at the camera and find out if it has some type of TTL connector or another external flash adapter. Then look at the housing and find out what it uses. That could be fiber optic, copper cables, optical or the like. If the housing has one of these you can use any strobe that will match up with it.

Ed

Not being familiar with your specific camera, but knowing a little bit about digital dive photography... :wink: I would suggest that you first check to see if there are any setups that are specifically designed for your camera! If not, Sea & Sea make a great "digital" strobe..or a few of them... the YS-25DX and the YS-90DX. Both strobes are designed specifically for digital usage. I have several friends that are using both the 90 and the 25 for various purposes, they love them both... what one you chose will depend on what types of shots that you anticipate taking "and how much you want to spend :(. Here is an excerpt from Sea & Sea's site about the 90:

Configured like its counterpart, the popular YS-90TTL Duo strobe, the YS-90DX is compact and lightweight, constructed of high-impact polycarbonate. It bears the same prism diffuser, projecting an ultra-wide, even beam. But the YS-90DX goes beyond dual system capability; it is the world's first submersible flash to have intuitive circuitry with triple-system compatibility. A traditional four-pin sync cord synchronizes it with the Motor Marine II-EX. A traditional five-pin sync cord synchronizes it with Nikonos and housed Nikon systems. And the new Sea & Sea fiber optic cable synchronizes it with digital still cameras.

When used with a traditional sync cord, the YS-90DX operates in TTL automatic, slave and manual modes. When used with digital cameras via an accessory fiber optic cable, the YS- 90DX is slave-fired. The YS-90DX responds when the camera's built-in flash is fired. Some digital cameras have a pre- flash to measure subject distance and available light, some fire only once. The YS-90DX can be set to fire when you want it to. It operates in manual mode only. Total manual flash exposure is achieved by means of the strobe's unique 12- option light level control dial.

The YS-90DX, a futuristic strobe for today's underwater imagers.

Specifications

Exposure control: TTL and Manual, with 12 light-level options
Beam angle: 105º x 95º
Guide number: (ISO 100, land) 72/22 (ft/m) (full power)
Color temperature: 5500ºK
Recycle time (full power): 200 alkaline, 120 Ni-cad Power source: Four AA alkaline or ni-cad batteries
Dimensions: 115 x 88 x 175mm/4.5 x 3.5 x 7 inches (H x W x D)
Optional: Fiber optic cable 58040

Cheers,
Crazy_J
:doctor:

:thumb: Thanks for the info.

I've yet to receive the camera but when I do, I'll be sure to check for connectors. The only reason why I'm looking for a strobe is cos my friend had an olympus camera and the internal flash was pants:censor:

I'm not sure how good the internal flash will be like with this camera. If I bought a strobe i'd be looking to spend upto £300 ($450). Any Ideas:question:

A little wrong.

SONY CYBERSHOT DSC-P8 HOUSING

MPK-PHA Underwater Housing
Works with the DSC-P8 and DSC-P10
Full function camera capabilities
Depth rated to 133 feet
Includes: Anti-Fogging Lens Solution, Neck Strap, Oring, Oring Maintenance manual, Oring Remover, Spacer
Add Cybershot P8 Camera for $499.95
3.2 megapixel
3X optical zoom lens
Ultra-compact size fits most any pocket
Well placed controls for easy operation
Optical Viewfinder and LCD Viewfinder
MPEG Movie modes with audio
Audio/Video output and slide show function allows image playback on TV
Includes: NP-FC11 InfoLithium battery, AC adaptor/in-camera charger, Audio/Video and USB cables, wrist strap, 16MB Memory Stick; CD-ROM w/Pixela ImageMixer, USB drivers
16 Mb lets you start taking pictures right away (Upgrade to a 64 MB below)
Add Lighting Package for $549.90 as pictured
Sony Video Light System For MPK-P8 Housing
20 watt power
Uses InfoLithium battery
Complete Sony Cybershot Digital package $1,299.80
Cybershot P8 Camera
MPK-PHA Underwater Housing
Sony Lighting Package

But it looks like they use a video light for $550 rather than a strobe.

see here

Jeeze you people are killing me. So much mis-information, I realize it's because not everyone uses a Sony (ie members of the Olympus cult).

Crispy, first off congratulations on your purchase, if you are half as pleased as I am with my Sony you'll be very happy. I have a DSC-P5 and been using it for the last year and half above and below the waves. First suggestion do not buy anymore light for it, it will work fine with the internal flash. That's all I use and will ever use. If the this flash will not reach your subject your to far away anyway. The other reason to get an external flash is reduce backscatter for some unknown reason I have had almost no problems with this. It's easy to remove in Photoshop even if you do get it.

Now for the other major reason to use the internal flash, this camera is tiny and will fit in alot of places if it's just the camera. Mine goes in a BC pocket getting in and out of the water and under a BC strap when not in use. Why give this up for a marginal improvement in your pictures.

Here's some samples with just an internal strobe taken last week in Bonaire (I'm still editing and more will be added as I get them ready).
Samples

Here's some more.

Keys I

Keys II

My $.02, YMMV.

I should have also mentions that the Sony can be used with just about any slave external strobe. It does not pre-flash so a slave strobe will work with this camera. I think you only need to turn-off the red eye reduction flash.

Cecil,

Major reason to NEVER use the onboard flash, backscatter. I see it in almost all of those images.

Shell out the extra $ for an off camera strobe of some form. that help will minimize backscatter.

Ed

Jeeze you people are killing me. So much mis-information, I realize it's because not everyone uses a Sony (ie members of the Olympus cult).
Couldn't agree with you more Cecil (though I stand guilty as a member of the cult).
Yes your pictures will be more prone to backscatter with the internal flash. Having said that I have taken some excellent photo's with the camera's flash. You need to get as close to the subject as possible (and clean water will also help). Another reason to start off without an external strobe would be to allow you to get used to the camera - especially if you haven't used one UW before.

If you still want to get an external strobe then you need to consider the following characteristics of your setup:
- the P10 is a full auto exposure camera: in low light conditions it will tend to use the widest aperture at the given focal length and use a slow-ish shutter speed (usually 1/60, 1/80 with the flash forced)
- the marine pack is a clear housing and has no external strobe connector

Given the above, in my opinion, your best option would be a manual strobe: Sea and Sea YS90DX with a fibre optic connection or an Ikelite DS50 with the manual remote slave sensor. You might also want to rig a 'spotting' light to help your camera focus in low ambient light.

You can also consider a good quality video light but bear in mind the light output is no where near that of a strobe. However, it can end up giving you faster shutter speeds and smaller apertures and help your camera focus better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom