Underwater equipment exchange tips needed....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubajoh44

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
I have one more pool session and one more skill to do to finish up my DM class. I have to do the underwater equipment exchange. This doesn't seem like it will be hard but my instructor said it is the most challenging of all the skills. Does anyone have any tips for me? The mask and fins swap will be a breeze I'm sure. What would be the best way for the BC. Seems like you'de just take it off and swap, but I guess it's not gonna be that easy. Tips????
Jo

Keep in mind that while you're doing this gear exchange, you're having to buddy breathe from a single regulator. Adds a bit more challenge to it than just a mere equipment swap.

the Kraken

When I did it, we swapped masks before we bagan so that once in the water and the masks got swapped, we got our own mask back. No leaks!

That's what my buddy and I did. Since I wear a bifocal mask, our swim to depth was basically the blind leading the blind. Did the mask exchange and everything went swimmingly from there (I know, bad pun).

Take your time. Set up a breathing/swap routine and then set your tempo from that.

Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . remove and pass fin
Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . remove and pass 2nd fin
Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . undo B/C
Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . remove right arm
. . and so forth

the Kraken

The Kraken:
That's what my buddy and I did. Since I wear a bifocal mask, our swim to depth was basically the blind leading the blind. Did the mask exchange and everything went swimmingly from there (I know, bad pun).

Take your time. Set up a breathing/swap routine and then set your tempo from that.

Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . remove and pass fin
Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . remove and pass 2nd fin
Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . undo B/C
Breathe, breathe, exchange reg . . . remove right arm
. . and so forth

the Kraken

This skill becomes particularly fun when one diver is wearing booties, the other full foot fins.

Now, to add some excitement to the skill, try doing it with three divers...

breathe, exchange reg ... Remove and pass fin...
breathe, exchange reg ... Remove and pass second fin..
run out of breath - Grab the reg for a cheeky extra breath... Remove and pass mask...

(The real fun here is doing the mask clearance whilst blowing bubbles for however long...)

Go S-L-O-W... No, S-L-O-W-E-R! No, even S-L-O-W-E-R!!!

If this is PADI, then it is very simple to do: plug and chug.

If this is NAUI, then be sure that the non-masked diver has control of the regulator at all times: they can't see very well! Use the largest of your BCs. The looser the better! It's also best to do this without a wetsuit so you both can be as close to neutral as possible during the exchange and swim.

I've done them both and NAUI's is definitely harder. :D

I just completed my DM certification.
I can tell you that it is a challenge even though it sounds easy. I was buddied up with a guy that I had never been diving with, let alone even knew. He was wearing BP/W. I was wearing a backinflation BC. Luckily I was familiar with tech rig entry exit since I mainly dive BP/W. The mask exchange was the last thing we did and from experience, I got a bit excited about finishing and tried to clear my mask without having the regualtor in my mouth...that got exciting really quick, but everything worked out exactly as it should have. We went a little fast a first, but slowed down as we got to the end of the exchange. We were a little light on the skids because we exchanged weightbelts too.

Enjoy and take your time.

Visualize the process. Discuss each step with your buddy. Make sure eaxh of you knows exactly what you'll be doing at each point in the exchange. Since you will be buddy breathing, you need to assist each other in taking off and putting on your BC. It's not that difficult a skill, my OW students do it.

Like Pete said, move slowly.

Complete each task before starting the next.

Visualization and communications are the key to turning it into a piece of cake.

My buddy and I agreed on a set sequence in advance and stuck rigorously to two slow breaths per exchange.

In addition we agreed on just one attempt at a any given task per exchannge - Theres plenty of time to retry slowly and deliberately. More complex tasks we would break down into segments so as never to build up more of an oxygen debt than necessary.

For the weight belt exchange we would rest them on our thighs while kneeling. then we'd grab and exchange them simultaneously in one quick movement

I worked out perfect but it did take us like 20 minutes or so. I only came close to my limit only once because my buddy got stubborn about some detail.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom