Underwater Drink

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Crush-Depth

Registered
Reaction score
Has anyone ever seen a solution for getting a drink of water while diving. Please don't say take your regulator out and drink. :11::D I've looked at CamelBack and Akona, but they are all backpack style. Seems like an IV bag with a mouth piece to stick in a pocket of your BC would do. I just need to be able to get a few swallows to clear my throat. That or solution to dry mouth.

I used to do the camelback when I started diving. I turned it around, and wore it on my chest. Once I got used to the taste of salt water I stopped doing it.

Some of the tech folks I know carry Capri Suns and drink those!

R

I heard they're coming out with Belikins in a metalic pouch with a straw attachment.

Myybe this is a dumb question, and maybe I am naive, but what about the never hold your breath thing? I have never thought about drinking under water, it seems to me that as you dive pressure increases on you, pressure would increase on a drink container, making it blow up for lack of better expression. Taking something to drink sounds like a mybe not safe thing. Am I just being dense about this?

mcclete22:
Myybe this is a dumb question, and maybe I am naive, but what about the never hold your breath thing? I have never thought about drinking under water, it seems to me that as you dive pressure increases on you, pressure would increase on a drink container, making it blow up for lack of better expression.
You have two misconceptions. First of all, "holding your breath" is just an oversimplification of the prohibition. What really causes a problem is closing the airway, and then ascending. Closing the airway means closing the eppiglotis or glottis or whatever that dohickey is at the back of your throat that closes just before you cough. Since you do momentarily close your airway while drinking, you shouldn't do it while ascending.

The Capri Sun foil pouches don't have any air in them, and the liquid drink is nearly incompressible, so the pressure doesn't cause any problem. If you were to have a container partially filled with air, then yes, it would compress; or vice versa, if you partially drink a normal plastic water bottle and put air back into at depth, then it will build up pressure as you ascent. This isn't a problem with containers such as the Scuba or Camelback or Capri Suns that collapse as you drink.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom