Underwater Damage to Grand Cayman

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

cpawt79

Registered
Reaction score
Hi
I am planning a trip in 2 weeks to the Grand Cayman, can anyone
tell me how bad the Island was hit (buildings and services) from the
Hurricane last fall?

How it is now?

Also how bad is the damage to the diving spots underwater?

Thank You

cpawt79:
Hi
Hurricane last fall?
It was bad, as in most of the island was underwater for a time and a lot of properties were destroyed, some boats were moved as far as 1/2 mile onshore. Several of the condo complexes were stripped to their foundations and others were so badly damaged they're being torn down and rebuilt. Power was out for a couple of weeks in the remote areas and I'm still not certain of the status of the power to the East End.
How it is now?
The official word is about 35% of the island is functional as of yesterday. I've read comments from several people now living on Cayman that the rebuilding is going slower than hoped. But maybe that's to be expected there, everything has to be brought in including labor. Georgetown is supposedly completely functional now and Sunset House just recently reopened. Morritt's, Comfort Suites and others are still rebuilding. Cayman Diving Lodge was destroyed and is in the process of being rebuilt. Most of the locations have current progress updates on their websites also.
The consensus seems to be that the reefs were relatively undamaged. A lot of sponges were torn up after Ivan and a lot of sand was shifted, particularly in the north. I also read the Stingrays survived intact and are back in full force - do this when you're there, it's been described at the best 15' dive on the planet.

Links to more info here and at the official Cayman Recovery site:
http://www.scubaboard.com/t85373-.html
http://www.scubaboard.com/t84727-.html

http://media.caymanislands.ky/news/details.asp?id=977&site=1
http://media.caymanislands.ky/news/details.asp?id=976&site=3

There's several Scubaboard members on Cayman who post here often, maybe they can provide more current updates.

Let us know how it was when you get back,

We did get a good beating from Ivan 4 months ago, that's for sure. It's taking some time for some accommodations to get open ( I wish they'd hurry :)), but services are up and running almost like before the storm. Grocery stores are open and well stocked, restaurants are open, gas stations and conveniences stores, etc all open... generally everything is back to business as usual. And, the beach is beautiful. Georgetown thru Seven Mile Beach up to West Bay had the least amount of damage and was the first area to get cleaned up. If you can ignore the crooked palm trees, everything is greening up, flowers are blooming again and it's looking good.
The reefs are in surprisingly great condition. I've noticed some soft coral and sponge loss but, other than that, it's in great shape. Plus, with a big storm like Ivan, the reef gets a good "washing off" of any algae growth or sand. And the fish life and other critters are out in full force.
Have a fun trip! Casey

My wife and I were in GC the third week of January and while the island is still in the process of recovering, we had a terrific time and the diving was great. I encourage you to go. Keep in mind that it was the east end that got hit hardest. While some of the Seven Mile Beach condos are still not fully open, places like Cobalt Coast are absolutely fine. Here's a link to my trip report:
http://scubaboard.com/t85373-.html

sdwho

cpawt79:
Hi
Hurricane last fall?

How it is now?

Thank You

Lest the 35% functional seem misleading, a bit more detail...

On Grand Cayman:
100% of buildings which can safely be reconnected have electricity and have since early December. Approximately 80% of the landline telephone service is restored. Cable tv (which is wireless microwave transmission here) is still spotty. Some condo rentals may not have TV (but who cares? You're on vacation, right!?)

80% of restaurants are said to be reopened. Rum Point, the Turtle Farm, and several other atttractions are already reopened. (However the Rum Point ferry is NOT in operation for now.) Olbrich Botanical Gardens should reopen very soon if it hasn't already.

Grocery stores are mostly open, but...
Lil' Hurleys in East End had to be levelled to the foundation. Rebuilding will take some time. Fosters at the Strand on Seven Mile Beach should reopen soon. Hurley's at Eden Center on Walkers Road is not open yet.

Roads are generally in very good condition, but there are a few spots around East End with serious damage. Repair is underway. More rental cars are arriving to replace those destroyed by Ivan. Make your rental car reservation in advance, as there is still a bit of a shortage.

The reefs I have been to are in great shape, though I have only been to one site which I had dived pre-Ivan. Underwater was comparatively little damage.

Morritt's Tortuga Club (where I was based) was perhaps the most heavily damaged resort on the island. Major reconstruction is needed and will take several months. For now I am based out of the dive shop at Rum Point.

For anyone interested...
Cayman Air is flying out of Chicago-O'Hare on Sunday mornings again. Plenty of open seats available & it's a non-stop flight. (Don't know what they charge)
So, they've got hotels, restaurants & flights. Sounds like the island is just waiting for the tourists to return.

I'm diving off a cuise ship the first week of May, 2005 and am looking into diving with Neptune Divers. Does anyone know if they are good people to work with? Any information I could get would be great! Thanks in advance.

Pam

pammyk:
I'm diving off a cuise ship the first week of May, 2005 and am looking into diving with Neptune Divers. Does anyone know if they are good people to work with? Any information I could get would be great! Thanks in advance.

Pam

Neptune Divers are "good people" and I'm sure you'll be pleased. Casey works with cruise passengers on a regular basis and can help to fit diving to your schedule.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom