Underwater Clicker

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Unfortunately, clickers need air to operate effectively. I've tried several designs with poor results. I like the Hammerhead which is made by the same people who make the dive alert.It attaches and operates the same way as the dive alert. It is designed to operate underwater and offers a gentle, long distance beep that is really effective. I spot for underwater photographers and they really appreciate the signal when I've found good stuff.

If you aren't wearing gloves, you can also make an effective signaling noise with your hands. Hold one hand in an "open fist", roughly as if you were holding a bottle with your index finger and thumb touching at the tips. Smack the circle they form with the open palm of your other hand, and the resulting "pop" will be easy to hear under water.

MSilvia:
If you aren't wearing gloves, you can also make an effective signaling noise with your hands. Hold one hand in an "open fist", roughly as if you were holding a bottle with your index finger and thumb touching at the tips. Smack the circle they form with the open palm of your other hand, and the resulting "pop" will be easy to hear under water.

Yeah, that seems to be a common one amongst DMs in the Caribbean.

Old thread but here goes.

I just purchased a couple of the dog training clickers in the hopes that it will be less annoying underwater than anything else.

My only concern is that anyone who was raised in Catholic school (like me) will automatically genuflect.

There is an assumption in this thread that people will hear the sound you are making. That is not always the case. Older guys, in particular, have high-frequency hearing loss, so anything that makes a high-pitched sound will not get their attention. this includes clickers, bolt-snap clicking, most rattles, most tank-banging, and -- unfortunately -- most dive-computer alarms. The only way I know my alarms are going off is if I see everybody looking at me....

Low-frequency sounds are harder to make, but work well for old and young ears. Examples are air horns, the palm slapping the closed hand as in post #13, and grunting in a regulator, although that does not go very far.

Oh hell. That's why I can't hear my computer?

So by the time we make enough money to spend our free time diving no one can hear us signalling for a shark or that we're stuck in kelp?

That kind of feels like planned obsolescence.

Damn the fates. DAMN THEM!!!!!

Bolt snaps are pretty nice. Especially a bolt snap with a really fat nub.

My wife and I tinkered around with sound making devices for a long time. We eventually settled on big spring snaps. Real easy to flick and makes a pretty strong sound. Takes up almost no space.

I don't know if this is the right size but mine looks just like this.

Stainless Spring Snap 6mm

I have a magnetic shaker but I don't take it anymore. Less is more and it is faster to grab my knife and bang it against the pony - the fact that I can do that before I even unclip the shaker means that this is the emergency attention go-to. I suggest finding a way to use your current gear for getting attention, rather than adding an extra piece of equipment, if you can.

..... Older guys, in particular, have high-frequency hearing loss, so anything that makes a high-pitched sound will not get their attention. this includes clickers, bolt-snap clicking, most rattles, most tank-banging, and -- unfortunately -- most dive-computer alarms. The only way I know my alarms are going off is if I see everybody looking at me....

This is so true! My wife kept telling me my computer was beeping like crazy and I didn't believe her until I went back and was looking at the videos. For some reason, what I couldn't hear underwater comes through loud and clear in the video! Don't know why I can hear it so well out of the water and not in the water but now I have shut off the audio alarms on my computer since they do me no good and only serve to annoy those around me. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom