Underwater cites in the south....

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

offroaddiver

Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
My facination with underwater buildings was inspired by trips to upper east TN and going to Watauga Lake and reading "The town of Butler,TN and cemeteries were located and some of the building lie under 100 feet of water" To non-divers this sounds like a sad and depressing statement. Actually it sounds like a challenge for me to get into technical deep diving in order to see this town and cast light on it once again.

I'm wondering if people know of other underwater cities from where the TVA and other agencies flooded areas. I have contacted historical societies and they tell me in less words "go find it yourself" Most see this type of activity as gruesome and depressing. I see it as more of archeology and trying to fully understand how quickly people had to leave in order for flood control.

I've seen online that there are maps that people can get that show keys sites in lakes for diving such as building and other information.

I'm saving my nickels and dimes, as the saying goes, so I can outfit a boat for diving and exploration such as sonar equiped.

Please list any information even if it's an site that would seem impossible to dive.

P.S. I've also heard numerous people say there's well known dive sites in dale hollow lake(buildings and such) this information would prove helpful.
(this all sounds like a hunt for the loch ness monster doesn't it?)

Today I received word that a set of maps I ordered came in to the local map store. One map is a hand noted orientation of the city of Butler,TN another is a book with the buildings and street of Butler underwater with a gps grid over it. I found in the archives a list of people who's land was taken by iminent domain and a general map of the areas taken.

Old Butler,TN is located at around 90-120'. The water according to local divers is cold but good visibility. To my general knowledge the lake is also considered an altitude dive since it is at...1960 ft about sealevel. Some other general info is that the lake is 19 miles long and has around 106 miles of lakeshore.

Thank you officer (you know who you are) that informed me of a general location of the city. He gave me a general place to start looking as well as a first hand account of what he saw of the downtown section of Butler.

As I've read from letter from the locals all the buildings are standing, even the silo's on the farms were still standing when the water started to rise. As one elderly gentleman I talked to said, "My parents lived in Butler. They were lucky enough to have moved closer to Bristol before that *******!%Q#$^%% TVA took the town. (for those who are not in the general area of Eastern TN or have met people from the area, many still curse TVA.) The water rose day by day. Several men took the doors off the houses and windows to later sell as salvage or to use on other houses. After time had gone all that could be seen from the shore was a few roofs. Then there was nothing but memories. " After telling the gentleman my ideas about diving and seeing the city he became very emotional about someone laying eyes upon the city. He mentioned that anyone who could get pleasure out of something like that was "wrong in the head". After discussing the similarities of shipwrecks to the town, he only said "never thought about that. They say that some of them ships are elegant". Upon stating this I asked him if the houses would fall under today's terms of elegance and whether or not there were any that weren't made of plain wood or construction material that might be affected by water. After thinking for a few minutes and enjoying a newly lit pipe,"I remember my parents mentioning that some houses were made out of river rock instead of brick because the times had gotten so harsh for a while." Another gentleman overhearing our conversation said to the effect that there were offices and stores that were cement buildings.

My research and interviews have shown that several peope who fish know of these locations, because "the fish like large underwater structures." As with other wreck dives this is a well known feature of wrecks. May even be that elusive 30 lbs. bass that the fishermen are always dreaming of everynight that have taken town hall, but that is doubtful (biological reasons).

I have also been informed about several locations in other parts of TN. Dale Hollow Lake as I've learned from fishermen(they know their stuff) has listed ruins on fishing maps. I emailed a diver and he would not disclose the locations but insisted that there are buildings that many divers have seen and entered.

If you want to share or inquire about any information or ways to find out about dive sites in lakes email me. I've had a blast doing the research to find out what I have.
Now I just need to get more used to diving and perhaps getting into the technical side so I can explore the ruins I find.

Think about the dream of walking through ruins that people haven't set foot on in decades or centuries.
-offroaddiver

Very, and I do mean VERY interesting. Please keep me informed of your research and your dives. This may be one dive that I may have to drive up to do if possible.

Jeremy

So far the only entire city underwater I've found was in Watauga Lake. I haven't received the maps for other lakes such as Douglas and Boone. The underwater roads are either dredging marks or actual submerged roads. If underwater structure isn't classified as a "fish attracter" it often is either a culvert (sewage, waste water or water inlet.) a building, or a large rock, house foundation, or just large mound of junk or dirt that has accumulated.

I'd love to go on any exploratory dives. I'm in Chattanooga, so would be happy to check it out. Must caution you though, these sorts of structures could potentially be very dangerous: Fishing line, depth, low vis, unstable, etc.. I would be very wary of any entry into any of these structures. It would be really neat to find and see them though. PM me if you want to check them out. I'm on Chickamauga, but I don't believe there were any towns submerged there, but I don't really know. I'm sure a few houses may have been. I'm guessing most of these types of things could be approached with a surface swim as the river isn't too wide.

Very interesting, keep us updated on any new findings and any dives you may make exploring these areas.

I'm goin by the local map store tomorrow and plan to do more research into other lakes. Next will be douglas lake..rumors have led me this way. Then it'll be boone and others in my general area.

I've had plenty of encounters with fishing line..I carry multiple cutting tools and a small bag to put the cut pieces into....don't just cut it loose and leave it for another diver to find!!!!

octotat,
I'm very limited in the amount of money and time needed to research all the underwater structures. I will however check out any rumors that I've heard.

Thanks everyone who has shown interest in my explorations and research.

UPDATE: NO NEW INFORMATION

I currently tried convincing a few boaters to take me listed areas so they can fish while I dive, so far no takers.

I also contacted the historical society and was informed that if I took anything from the water I was required to report it to their offices and if it had any historical significance I would have to donate it if they proved any significance and my name may be represented on a plaque. Since this is a submerged city and it occured during a "historical" time I may not be able to claim anything I find and can be asked to leave since the lake is considered government owned land.

I grew up in Johnson City and Bristol and had always heard about this. Would be real interested in knowing what you come up with.
Could always take a trip back to my old stomping grounds

Shaun

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom