Underwater Camera Suggestion??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When I started taking underwater pictures I used Sony T1 with casing. I didn't use any fancy cameras and took great pictures. Then I bought an underwater photography book and it said: Rule number one for a good underwater photographer is BE A GOOD DIVER FIRST!!!
And it's true, until you master your diving skills, it does not make sense to buy an expensive camera. So any small camera with underwater casing would do the job. Look at the picture I took with my small camera.
Good luck!!!

Attachments

• divingdr_fish.JPG
    divingdr_fish.JPG
    198.5 KB · Views: 36
Look into the Canon G9 or G10. I like them, because you can override all of its preset features and it'll be awhile before you outgrow its capabilities. The other thing too, both models are great land based cameras.

Since you're in the Philippines, you'll want a camera that allows addon lenses for macro. So I'd research cameras to make sure they were compatible with Inon macro lenses. Sea&Sea have their own line and have nice compact cameras.

Look into the Canon G9 or G10.
Seconded! I suggest that you look for a camera which can shoot RAW (like these 2 do). This avoids the need to play with white balance underwater (it's hard enough to compose the shot, without the white balance hassles!). Post processing the photos with the camera's utilities, or PhotoShop, etc., is much easier and you lose nothing until you commit to JPEG. You will need a high capacity card for RAW (G9 RAW pics are 34MB, G10 will be larger), but it is well worth it.

Canon A series--probably the A720, the A570 is no longer made......cheap & good(the A570 a few months ago was selling for about $300--camera & UW housing---the 720 is not much more I think)

DRsharky, I envy you....it was an amazing and beautiful shot..... thanks for the tips

When I started taking underwater pictures I used Sony T1 with casing. I didn't use any fancy cameras and took great pictures. Then I bought an underwater photography book and it said: Rule number one for a good underwater photographer is BE A GOOD DIVER FIRST!!!
And it's true, until you master your diving skills, it does not make sense to buy an expensive camera. So any small camera with underwater casing would do the job. Look at the picture I took with my small camera.
Good luck!!!

Back
Top Bottom