Underwater Camera Recommendations?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

nhglyn

Registered
Reaction score
I am looking for an underwater camera (good down to 100'). Other qualities I would like are 18+ MP and 1080 HD movie capability, good/fast shutter speed, stabilization, use of micro sd card of 32 GB and, if possible, all this for under $500.00. I would prefer one that is water/crush proof on it's own without the need for an external plastic case.

Is there such a thing out there? Any help is most appreciated.

The Olympus TG-4 is going to probably be your closest option, but is only able to go down to about 15 meters without a housing.

You are going to need to spend more than that and get a decent camera and housing to take it to 100'. The PT-056 Oly housing plus camera will run you $679.98.

I have a review here.

I am looking for an underwater camera (good down to 100'). Other qualities I would like are 18+ MP and 1080 HD movie capability, good/fast shutter speed, stabilization, use of micro sd card of 32 GB and, if possible, all this for under $500.00. I would prefer one that is water/crush proof on it's own without the need for an external plastic case.

Is there such a thing out there? Any help is most appreciated.
The SeaLife Micro HD + comes close for $499.

The first permanently sealed underwater camera

Capture the tranquil beauty of the undersea world with the first permanently sealed, flood-proof underwater camera. The Micro HD+ has no doors or openings that could possibly leak. With 32GB of onboard memory and a high capacity internal battery, there's no need for memory cards, batteries, O-rings, or maintenance.
perma-seal-logo-SD-badge.jpg

Packed with features

Small and ergonomic, the Micro HD+ camera is easy to handle underwater, operating with three wide “Piano Key” controls. With colorful 13MP still images, full 1080p HD video and a built-in 140-degree Fisheye Lens, the Micro HD+ provides everything needed to capture and share your underwater encounters down to 200 feet/60 meters.

On the inexpensive end of things, the Canon D30 is 12MP, shoots 1080p video, and goes down to 80' (it will *probably* make it to 100' safely), so it comes close but doesn't meet all of the requirements, but it can be had for $250 (it's about $300 now, but I purchased it for $250 in June). Not the greatest quality camera, but a decent one and pretty good value.

same question, i'm looking for a new camera under$500

Last edited:
It might be worth looking at the Canon power shot point and shoot cameras with a housing. I think they are up to the S200 these days.

We (myself and girlfriend) have four S95's with three canon housings and one ikelite. Four in case we break one! I bought the ikelite housing for deeper diving as it has a 100m (300ft) depth limit and the canon housing is 30m (100ft).

They have proved to be excellent cameras. The camera is/was relatively cheap, so if you flood one its not as catastrophic as a full SLR or hybrid.
The picture quality is great, both in auto and manual (and shutter priority, aperture priority). We haven't suffered camera limitations, rather operator limitations :).

You can get an external lens mount for the camera housing from INON, and use their lens range. With this option you can change lenses underwater. From a Wide angle to a macro, really useful.

The camera has a shortcut button that can be programmed for special functions. We used to preset it to allow white-balancing[1], now we tend to use it for focus lock and access white balance through the menu, which we do less now we have strobes on both cameras.
The cost is not really in the camera or the housing, its the accessories. Strobes (flashguns) are very expensive, as are lenses especially wide angle lenses.

If and when we upgrade, we should be able to get all the lenses and strobe and fit them to the new S200 housing.

Gareth

[1] white balance allows the camera to compensate for loss of color at depth. Point the camera at a white card, hit white balance and the camera recalibrates the sensor. You do need to do this regularly as you change depth.

In a similar thread I strarted (http://www.scubaboard.com/forums/un...sy-use-point-click-takes-good-macro-pics.html) Creamer posted the quote below. It might fit your needs.
Check out the Nikon Coolpix AW130. It is rated to 30m/100ft out of the box. Has a macro mode(which I haven't used yet) with a focus as close as 1 cm. My wife was looking for a waterproof camera to play in the water at the beach and I suggested this so I could borrow it. I haven't used it extensively but am happy so far. $300 for this vs $1500 plus lights for a housing for my DSLR.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom