Underwater (1955)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

garyfotodiver

Contributor
Reaction score
Chicago, but dive in FL. Not true anymore, as I di
# of dives
200 - 499
This movie, staring Jane Russell, Richard Egan, and Gilbert Roland is on TCM right now. Talk about technique! References to running low on oxygen in the tank, hand-pulling along the coral, no weights, wetsuits, or BCs (well, Jane Russell). The single tanks seem rather small. 50cf??

The underwater photography is pretty good for over 50 years ago.

But I haven't seen any closeups of the regulators to get an idea of the brand. Anyone out there know?

Just now, a great description of DCS. Nitrogen in the bloodstream upsetting the metabolic balance. Once it hits you, your diving days are numbered.

I will look for this movie on eBay. It's fun!

They were using a DA Aqualung regulator and single 40 cubic foot tanks (probably) with a home-made harness system. This is featured in Rick and Barbara Currier's book, Dive, The Complete Book of Skin Diving. More later.

SeaRat

That homemade "harness" system was fascinating to some of us back in the day. It was the first back pack and presaged similar developments in load carrying systems on land and in the water. The exact design was copied by Healthways and used on their double 38's. I threw away a new Healthways pack last year, to make room. We all used straps on our tanks during the 50's.

pescador775:
That homemade "harness" system was fascinating to some of us back in the day. It was the first back pack and presaged similar developments in load carrying systems on land and in the water. The exact design was copied by Healthways and used on their double 38's. I threw away a new Healthways pack last year, to make room. We all used straps on our tanks during the 50's.

Like this

http://vintagedoublehose.com/cart/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=6_11&products_id=81

The thing I remember most about this movie was the recurring playing of Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White by Perez Prado and his Orchestra. The first two or three times were OK, but after that it got a little annoying...

TiVo'd it when it was on and have been watching the diving scenes. Now I just need to get things together to dump it to DVD.

My wife can't believe people ever dived like that!

Back
Top Bottom