Underground Cavern Sites, Identify?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Cacia

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
Ohana, the period where conditions will be very favorable for these sites (like Sea Caves, off Portlock) is approaching. I want to explore sites with light streaming in from overhead (very inspired by harry's shot at Lanai lookout) and I was wondering if any of you ninja shore divers could help me identify this and any other suitable sites.

IMG_0525.jpg

Have you entered this "cave" ? Where exactly is the spot in Harry's image? There is a place like that near Sea Cave futher west. Also, what is your observation regarding surge when the surf is flat and your experience entering? I usually wait a few cycles of surge before gauging entering the large cavern. How far are you willing to enter towards the back wall? I see White Tips in there, seemingly on calm days, only.

Also...it has been awhile since I have spotted any Hawaiian Monk Seals...anybody else see any out there lately?

We took off Monday for a run to Rabbit Island..MANY WHALES! If anyone wants to be on call for favorable conditions--PM me as I need a few more divers if JB is at work. We would drift it.

collage45.jpg

Nice butt shot there C....:shakehead

hey c..
is your first pic of "spitting caves"? near china walls?
or is that cave closer to makapuu?

did you mean the photo from Harry of the swimthru directly below the entry at lanai lookout..

btw.. i'm game to try rabbit island.

I could not rember which dive that was. Loooong swim thru...

VBlueV:
hey c..
is your first pic of "spitting caves"? near china walls?

or is that cave closer to makapuu?

if you mean this photo from Harry:

it's the swimthru directly below the entry at lanai lookout..

btw.. i'm game to try rabbit island.
I hear there is a boat for sale at Hickam, buy it and you can go all the time!:wink:

okay...lets start a group for Rabbit Island! Guess there is no bouy so we need to take turns drifting it, yea?

the cave is towards Makapu'u.harry's picture near point panic? .. with the skylight. no..he had another shot somewhere...it looked like Sea cave, the back "vault" where we sometimes find monk seals and white tips.

Wildcard:
I hear there is a boat for sale at Hickam, buy it and you can go all the time!:wink:
well.. if i were to get one here.. i'd want twin-outs..
'cuz i'd be taking it to maui all the time :)

catherine96821:
okay...lets start a group for Rabbit Island! Guess there is no bouy so we need to take turns drifting it, yea?
or.. the reef between the two islands is only supposed to be 40fsw.. we could easily drop anchor.

however, the reports say there is usually a good current running through there.. so yes.. it might be a drift anyways :eyebrow:

btw.. heard it was totally flat a makapuu today.

I wanna go to Maui, but I am skeeerrrd.

okay...I saw some freedivers here: (those are ancient Hawaiian tikis or something...)

IMG_0510.jpg

okay...here is the shot. It looks like Sea cave..but he is calling it Blow Hole. Which blow hole? Makapu'u? the one wher the cali kid died? or the one that spits at the cave? (sea caves)

http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=175640

hey c..
the elevator shaft at sharks' cove has similar lighting..
'tho you pro'ly can't get that shot for a few more months..

Back
Top Bottom