Undergarment recommendations for COLD water

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CAPTAIN SINBAD

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hello -

I have been diving my drysuit in 48 degree water with improvised undergarments that seem to work really well. I am now looking to get into ice diving and was wondering if I should invest in a proper thinsulate undergarment or if I should create warmth by adding more layers. Does anyone have any recommendations?

There are two reasons to think about proprietary diving undergarments, rather than layering things made for other purposes. One is bulk (and with it, ballast). Diving manufacturers spend a fair amount of time trying to figure out how to combine good insulating properties with a garment that permits good mobility, and doesn't require the weight equivalent of a cast-iron bathtub to get it underwater.

The other is performance when wet. When you are diving in water that's so cold that you are having trouble finding an undergarment that will keep you warm, you have to think about what happens when that very cold water gets INSIDE your dry suit (which it inevitably will). Again, diving manufacturers spend a lot of time working with materials to see what will retain as much insulating quality as possible when it is wet. Makers of ski or mountain wear don't have the same degree of concern about this.

Thinsulate is not the only option -- there are some manufacturers using Hollofill type materials as well, or hybrids, or foam materials like the 4th Element Halo. Thinsulate tends to be relatively fragile and intolerant of washing and drying, which, especially if you are using a p-valve, is not a nice quality in a diving undergarment :)

I have dove a bunch of different manufacturers undergarments over the years and the warmest that I have found has been SANTI EXTREME BZ 400!
San-2001M-2T.jpg

SANTI EXTREME BZ 400 MENS

If you don't think that will be enough they offer Heated Vests and will be launching this at DEMA:

San-U-2012M-2T.jpg

SANTI EXTREME BZ 400 Heated 2012

Forgot SANTI's response to washing:

This is in the FAQ's section on the OceaEdge Outfitters (U.S. Distributer) website:
SANTI FAQ

Where can I find the washing instructions Thinsulate™ ?
If cared for properly, your undersuit with Thinsulate Insulation will provide years of service. Please read the following instructions carefully. If directions are not followed, break down of the insulation can occur.

Special Note:
You can wash your SANTI Undersuit as frequently as you need. The insulation used to produce our Undersuits does not change during washing and the way we made our undersuits gives you possibility of multiple washing even in industrial conditions. Repeated washing is even recommended to restore excellent insulating qualities of Thinsulate™.

We recommend wearing thermal underwear beneath your undersuit. This liner will absorb odors and perspiration from the body. Avoid using cotton underwear because it saturates with sweat easily and conducts heat away from the body when wet. Thermal underwear can also be washed as often as it is necessary.

My wife used an ebay guy *starts with an r" for ice diving no problem.

Don't forget the importance of a good wicking base layer like cold weather under armor to keep your skin dry.

Dry gloves also go a long way towards keeping you warm.

I agree! A good Base Layer is key to Drysuit Diving. I find that the Fourth Element Drybase actually works better then the Under Armor

Last edited:
How about drycleaning your thinsulate? Is that something that would work or instructons recommend against it?

I just throw mine in the wash every once in a while. We have a front loading washer and its pretty gentle on clothes. It even has a gentle button. It still works fine. Am I shortening the life of it - maybe, but I'd rather replace it a few months early than stink for miles.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom