Question Undergarment question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsfinn57

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I have a trilam drysuit on the way. The coldest water I anticipate diving is 60 f. Is a fourth element arctic as a standalone going to provide adequate wicking or do i need a specific wicking under layer

I would prefer a baselayer, maybe even a mid-layer, and then an external layer lighter than the Artic. A few reasons:
- A good base-layer (merino wool or technical material) should, in theory, keep your dryer and, consequently, warmer. This is related to the material of the baselayer more than its thickness (the base-layer absorbs the sweat, which migrates from the side of the base-layer in touch with your skin to the other side).
- Washing undergarment is not good for the undergarment. Artic, BZ400, and similar are pretty expensive, so I prefer to keep a cheaper mid-layer between the base-layer and the external layer, and wash the mid-layer more frequently than the external layer

However, ultimately it is up to you

Yeah, remember what is being wicked is not water, its salty grungy sweat. After a couple dives, my wicking layer (I'm just using a cheap seaskin polyester tech undergarments, really no different than any athletic base layer like underarmor), smells like you might expect from marinating in sweat for a few hours, but my insulation layer is just slightly damp and not stinky at all. I've been going back and forth between 4E Arctics and Waterproof Meshtecs, and I personally prefer the meshtec insulation garments as they are a lot less hot during surface interval (and while patiently waiting for the last guy to finish futzing with his glove rings), and are plenty warm (for me) even down to water temps in the mid 40s as long as I'm also using dry gloves and a thick hood.

I wash my base layer after every day of diving, and only hand wash insulation layer and hang dry when it needs it, which is infrequently.

I tried something new yesterday, the sharkskin titanium 2 top, I used thin wool first, the sharkskin and a heavy wool over those, I usually use the waterproof mesh tech in this configuration, I was warmer than usual and the water was colder than usual. The thing is pricy but I managed to catch a sale and had a discount code so I got it for about $80 off.

So far only one 75 minute dive but promising. Needed a few pounds less weight too.

I tried something new yesterday, the sharkskin titanium 2 top, I used thin wool first, the sharkskin and a heavy wool over those, I usually use the waterproof mesh tech in this configuration, I was warmer than usual and the water was colder than usual. The thing is pricy but I managed to catch a sale and had a discount code so I got it for about $80 off.

So far only one 75 minute dive but promising. Needed a few pounds less weight too.
interesting, got a link to what you're using?

A good base layer goes a long way. I've been using Minus33 merino for several years and quite happy with their product. They are available in tall sizes and heavier weights than other brands. At the end of the day, dry (damp) suits are all about moisture management.

interesting, got a link to what you're using?
Here is their website

Look for titanium 2

It’s made for replacement of a wet suit, I have the original full suit and actually don’t care for it as advertised but found it ok for use in a neoprene drysuit.
These T 2 seem to have a better fit, read tighter and while I really don’t thing I would find it anywhere near a 5 mil wet for wet diving I bet it’s much better than the original for that use.

Nonetheless I bought it primarily as a mid layer in the shell drysuit.

Don't overthink too much. If you're using 4E Arctics, then a very light under-layer, like the forementioned merino wool will do just fine. I've been using a very well-worn 4E Arctic here in Seattle with 45f water, with a Santi vest and heavier weight Minus33 layer and it does fine for colder. For 60f, you might find less is more.

I dive an Arctic 1-piece pretty comfy for an hour at 48 degrees with a thin Finland police-issue merino base (from varusteleka.com) - 60+ degrees would be when I’d think of wearing a couple of lighter layers. At 65 degrees the Arctic would be too warm for me

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom