Undergarment progression

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scott M

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I now have the MK2 with the jacket. Wearing just the suit not the jacket it seems to be real warm the mid 50 to 60 range, I have not been to colder temps with it so it may be comfortable down a little lower. I anticipate diving down to about the 40 range. I can add the jacket for colder temps but will this be enough for 40 temps? Or should I go with the thicker MK3 or similar?

Regards

I use a MK3 in 45 degree water WITH a 200g Thinsulate vest and a light layer of fleece long underwear under that, and Argon. But I'm cold intolerant. I also shiver at the end of an hour in that setup.

I agree. The MK3 is a very warm undergarment, but even with it I'm never actually "warm" at depth at 45-53 degrees - merely tolerant of the temperature. Once I'm on the surface, kicking, I often wish it was a few degrees cooler. Some people are just never satisfied, right?

Thanks for the replies. I am fairly tolerant to cold but after an hour of being a little cold I'm sure I would catch a chill also. I wish I had a Whites dealer near me so I could compare the MK2 with jacket to the MK3 to see which ends up thicker. If I can keep my core and head warm I think I will be ok. I like the suggestion of the thinsulate thermals also. Some buddies of mine have another brand thermal they found to be a little warmer than the MK series but everybody has an opinion of works for them. I will have to get the name of what they are using also. I never would have guessed all the misc. gear I would need when going dry. I am enjoying the suit though. We got back from a dive yesterday, we all geared down and my SO looked at me and said how come your dry? My buddies both smiled and said in unison, it was the $200 he spent on the D.S.! Kick save and a beauty, lol. I think she knew better though.

Back
Top Bottom