Undercurrent--"Why Divers Die"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

well the rules of padi state.. that you can't fail someone if they pass all the skills.. but my instructor was telling us about a person who was so unsafe that they had to phone padi and say i dont want my instructor number on his card because the guy is so unsafe even though he passed all the skills and stuff required.. and padi said its ok to fail him.. and then another dive shop called her and asked why she failed him and she told them why but they still took him out to open watter anyways and passed him.. so it really depends on the instructor

my friend that is obes floats like a cork if he were to get into trouble all he would have to do is dump his weights and he would float right too the surface... i dont know how he does it i sink he floats big time..

DawgDiver:
Obesity complicates everything. Anybody who is obese is at higher risk for pretty much everything. It's only natural to say that obesity puts a diver at higher risk for injury.

True. It's not limited to diving. Obese people are ten times more likely to die in trauma than those who aren't obese.

Obese people consume ten times more of the health care dollars than those who aren't obese.

Obesity complicates everything.

Tigerman:
"health freaks" that count every calory they eat and is generally freaky aware of their health actually had more psychological issues and a generally lower life quality than the "normal" ..

What you really meant to say was that there is an ocean (dive tie in) of evidence that is mounting that shows that a bmi that is less than 25 is associated with decreases in almost all cancer. This includes but not limited to breast, prostate, and colon.

The number of benefits of being a little thinner will continue to grow and now we see it makes diving safer.

Charlie59:
What you really meant to say was that there is an ocean (dive tie in) of evidence that is mounting that shows that a bmi that is less than 25 is associated with decreases in almost all cancer. This includes but not limited to breast, prostate, and colon.

The number of benefits of being a little thinner will continue to grow and now we see it makes diving safer.
No.. What i say is that the uber-thin people who count calories are the ones that most frequently attempt to kill themselves..

Actually, there have been some interesting studies that lately regarding longevity and caloric intake. Seems that calorie-restricted diets and significant weight loss are associated with increase longevity.

Here are some abstracts regarding calorie restriction, weight loss and longevity:

Journal of American Medical Association

MedScape Today

The Scientist

Regarding Tigerman's comments: Neurotic control-freak anorexics do tend to try to kill themselves more, along with their out-of-control eating obese bulemic counterparts. However, I tend to see about 10 times more obese bulemics than anorexcis in the emergency room after they try to kill themselves.

Remember, there is suicide........and then there is suicide on the "installment plan."

Most addiction, drugs, alcohol, food...etc is suicide on the installment plan. It doesn't get counted in the stats, but is just as deadly.

Seems "not quite" being satiated is good for you.

Obese people are ten times more likely to die in trauma than those who aren't obese.

I did not know that...wonder why? Secondary to medical probs? The new National Geographic has a good article this month about genetic markers for cardiac arrest triggers and the new model emerging.

When I got NAUI certified, the first thing I learned from their manual was that by far most diving accidents and deaths are caused by diver error. I got PADI AOW certified this past November and again I was taught most diving accidents and death are caused by diver error (utilizing skills and/or panic). I am a gym rat and being in shape is very important to me, but the truth is the truth. It's not how much you weigh when you dive that puts you at risk, it's how you dive. The alure of diving is that so many people, thin or fat, young or old, can participate. Individuals are out their diving without legs or other limbs. Diving is all about skill development, not your physical limitations. Again, that's why so many different people are attracted to this activity. You are only limited by your ability to learn and put that into practice. By the way, my instructor for OW checkout dives was a short, obese woman, 45 years of age. I was stunned when she introduced herself on the boat and ashamed of myself for pre-judging her after diving with her. I would buddy dive with her anytime.

Charlie59:

You know, I could buy the top part but that whole thinner makes diving safer is BS. Its been stated over and over. The major risk factors significantly outwieght the minor ones. In this case, wieght is a minor factor.

I equate this to whole nitrox is safer on air tables idea. Sure it might be true, but given the data, its impossible to prove even if logically it makes sense. Something about the risk reduction being talked about is measured/calculated to be in the NOISE levels of the statistics.

in_cavediver:
You know, I could buy the top part but that whole thinner makes diving safer is BS. Its been stated over and over. The major risk factors significantly outwieght the minor ones. In this case, wieght is a minor factor.

I equate this to whole nitrox is safer on air tables idea. Sure it might be true, but given the data, its impossible to prove even if logically it makes sense. Something about the risk reduction being talked about is measured/calculated to be in the NOISE levels of the statistics.

They just aren't going to get it Mike.

If you are skinny with lousy dive skills you may be at greater risk while diving than if you are fat and have good dive skills...even though the fat person may stand a greater chance of heart attack (or something). Someday the fat person might die from a heart attack but his good skills can keep him alive until it comes, where the skinny person with lousy dive skills (maybe he has a dangerous attitude too) gets wacked on their very first dive. LOL Of course the skinny diver may be a chain smoker and a drunk and stand an even greater chance of heart disease than the fat person.

If we try to use BMI to predict the outcome in the above situation we won't even be close. LOL unless you read different in a stupid magazine and then the magazine trumps all.

Why waste time with rational discussion, Mike ... it's more fun to bash fat people ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom