Undercurrent is Temporarily Suspending Publication

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Every regulator problem I have had has been after service. The worst was when the dive store owner used the wrong parts and I had a serious lung injury from water ingestion after the 1st stage exploded and forced water into my mouth on an inhale. I have them serviced when I see a bit of salt crust but not before especially if they perform as expected. I also check them out in a pool or shallow local dive before a trip or a deeper dive and keep a stage tank handy just in case.

Yea, I got the Undercurrent letter. Yes, they are taking the entire summer off. If no one is diving, then no one is writing trip reports for their newsletters.

Everyone's existing subscription is being extended, to the point that we’ll get the same number of newsletters that we paid for.

They did make a point to share that subscriptions account for 90 or 95% of all revenue, which I didn’t know. Makes one wonder if they might ultimately end up being one of the business casualties of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Yea, I got the Undercurrent letter. Yes, they are taking the entire summer off. If no one is diving, then no one is writing trip reports for their newsletters.

Everyone's existing subscription is being extended, to the point that we’ll get the same number of newsletters that we paid for.

They did make a point to share that subscriptions account for 90 or 95% of all revenue, which I didn’t know. Makes one wonder if they might ultimately end up being one of the business casualties of the Covid-19 outbreak.

Undercurrent is quite solvent because, unlike other diving media, it does not rely on advertising revenue from a decimated diving industry. However, for the last 40 years, its monthly newsletter has published accounts of travel and diving that are absolutely current, and it is this shortage of material (since its writers are not traveling) that is the problem. However, if you sign up for the email, you will get other news.

They sent out an e-mail today on this. No longer publishing as nobody is traveling (COVID) They hope to resume publishing someday, members still will have www access to the sight, memberships are on a freeze (no new subscriptions or renewals allowed), members still keep any remaining months they have as credits for when/if publishing resumes in the likely distant future, no mention of cash refunds on that.
That sucks! I just joined 2 weeks ago. What a waste of money now :(

Wow, another one bites the dust; received that Undercurrent letter as well. Nasty day. First, that, then news of an old San Francisco, North Beach mom and pop mainstay, Ristorante Franchino, closing, after thirty-two years, due to COVIDIOCY. Just couldn't make it . . .

Yea, I got the Undercurrent letter.
They did make a point to share that subscriptions account for 90 or 95% of all revenue.

Where is other revenue sourced from? They don’t do ads. Curious.

Back
Top Bottom