"Undercurrent" and their "Chapbook"

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have to say, I don't subscribe but my 70 year old mother does. I apprieciate the newsletter more than the chapbook. As mentioned the chapbook is outdated and filled with reports of only the most expensive operations, this is probably due to the fact that older folks, as a rule, don't rough it as much as the whippersnappers. I do get interesting info about different locations and health reports from the newsletter, but in my opinion, as the gavel falls, it's not worth the $$$.

Peace,
Stephen

Roatanman,

However, regarding the "Old Farts" did you know that there is an existing cert card for "old farts" you may not qualify.

On the other hand, if a person is around 60, healthy, the chances are he/she is pretty damned street smart and probably has a fat wallet to boot!! It would seem the UC has given this serious business considerations.

"What you were quoted no doubt expressed the intent of U/C"

Subject to your "interpretation".

"U/C is not meat, it is lard"

I would suggest the opposite is true when debating a BBS-v-UC. Go browse some of the "trip reports" on this site...or the "travel advice" ("rOaTan sux bra"). Between this board and the 2 others I frequent (1 being Rodales) there are very FEW useful reports that cover locations in depth. The UC info is well packaged and catagorized in a format that I find useful.

"I have to say, I don't subscribe but my 70 year old mother does. I apprieciate the newsletter more than the chapbook. As mentioned the chapbook is outdated and filled with reports of only the most expensive operations, this is probably due to the fact that older folks, as a rule, don't rough it as much as the whippersnappers."

Don't get overly mad at me but you obviously have not READ anything in either the Chapbook or online. Unless of course the most "expensive operations" include Blackbeards, Easy Goin, and others in great detail with very consistent reviews.

Bottom line...if you don't like it...it is your $$$. I support the publication because I like the style, the writing, and the independence (insofar as possible for a commercial publication). Having said all that should Mr Davidson be snooping you may wish to heed the idea of a members BBS.

Oh yeah....

"But I pray that you are still diving when you are"

You are DAMN skippy :D...but I have a long way to go yet!

Hi

I must agree that the Chapbook has outdated material and I like the newsletter better. But I have used there articles which have persuaded me to adventure to new areas of the world. It is not my only source but one of many I use to plan a dive trip.

Happy and Safe Diving

Ron

Don't get overly mad at me but you obviously have not READ anything in either the Chapbook or online. Unless of course the most "expensive operations" include Blackbeards, Easy Goin, and others in great detail with very consistent reviews.

I have read every issue of the NL and every Chapbook in the last 7 years! You may have found some examples of reasonably priced places reviewed, I have not. Prices of hotels and dives makes or breaks my ability to travel, with this in mind UC does not , and I repeat DOES NOT, have the budget travelor as their priority. I have used them as one of my references for trips all over the world and yes, I have never stayed at any of the accomodations and on average dive with other dive shops due to the prices of the places reviewed. No, I am not an on-line reader and even my mother a 10 year subscriber is giving up. To each their own, but in case you want to save some money don't use UC as your only research tool.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom