Uncle Sam paid now time for some camera gear.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Scubatooth

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Well this year uncle sam finally paid back his intrest free loan from last year and now its time to get some gear for my camera now that the water is getting ready to warm up and i have finally healed from may surgery last fall.

There are a couple of items on my list that i know i want to get but then there are some that im really needing some advice on.

I have the C5050 (dee convinced me of that) and the PT-15 housing.

1. tray: im gonna go with fisheye as this seems to be the popular one for the group. my one question is should i go ahead and andd the second handle with the tray so that i can keep both hands on it, or would it be for stability?

2. Arms: have been looking at arms and seems like the UCLS ones are pretty good its just that im not sure about the lengths i would need for arms, as i was figuring a 16" and 8" length would be where i would need to start.

Then on top of that what type of clamps would i need for them as on ryans site i see two different styles and cant tell the difference between the 2.

3.Strobe: this is really where i am having a problem because partly this is also a forward look in to the future and what i may upgrade to. In the future im thinking of upgrading to a housed DSLR and for this i keep thinking of the S&S housings since they seem to be of pretty good quality and they have domes and ports for the lens i would use in the future(17-40L, 20mm, Canon 15mm fisheye).

Then also im kind of stuck between S&S and ike because S&S didnt produce a housing for the 20D yet the make the strobe i have been looking at. where ike did and it seems like getting any answers out of S&S is impossible as i have email them several times with no responce, while ike answers questions here on the board and is cracking the digital TTLs that the manufactures have while i dont hear much about S&S doing such things so im kind of torn between the two.

mainly in the strobes i had been looking at the S&S DX90 as its multi purpose and flexible and would watch with the housed DSLR im looking at. even though the inons seem to be very popualr with alot of you all here.

my only real requirement formy strobe is that it be able to work on the oly as well as a housed DSLR i will buy in the future and for a nikonos V that im bidding on ebay this week.

MISC: besides this there are a couple of accesories that i wasthinking of adding to the rig. one would be focus assits/model light. i had been thinking of using the light cannon as this is a night bright light(and close in temp to what the strobes put out) that will make it easy to focus for the camera and as well my light for night dives when not shooting.

I know some may say what about some add-on lenses but for right now i wouold rather use what i have or am looking at since being in college i dont have alot of extra . then in the future add the lense if i hadnt moved onto a housed DSLR yet.

then if anyone has any additional suggestions for items please feel free to let me know.

Scubatooth

1. tray: im gonna go with fisheye as this seems to be the popular one for the group. my one question is should i go ahead and andd the second handle with the tray so that i can keep both hands on it, or would it be for stability?

Get the ULCS tray. You can add a second handle later.

2. Arms: have been looking at arms and seems like the UCLS ones are pretty good its just that im not sure about the lengths i would need for arms, as i was figuring a 16" and 8" length would be where i would need to start. Then on top of that what type of clamps would i need for them as on ryans site i see two different styles and cant tell the difference between the 2.

8" & 5" to start? 16 & 8 is a little extreme IMHO. Visit the ULCS website to see what clamps you will need. You can also send them an email or phone - very friendly and helpful.

3.Strobe: my only real requirement formy strobe is that it be able to work on the oly as well as a housed DSLR i will buy in the future and for a nikonos V that im bidding on ebay this week.

Ikelite DS-125!

MISC: besides this there are a couple of accesories that i wasthinking of adding to the rig. one would be focus assits/model light. i had been thinking of using the light cannon as this is a night bright light(and close in temp to what the strobes put out) that will make it easy to focus for the camera and as well my light for night dives when not shooting.

If you buy the DS-125 you won't need a focus/model light.

camera2.jpg

I agree on the shorter arms.

I'd go Inon 220 strobes - you can hard wire them. Friend just dived with my with his Nikon D2 with dual Inon 220 strobes. sweet. And you don't upgrade much more than Nikon's new camera :D

Ryan pointed me to the UCLS digital tray instead of the Fisheye tray. You'll need to ask him - I can't remember the difference. I really like mine.

alcina

this set up is going to be for my 5050 to start as i dont have the money for a housed DSLR yet.

tooth

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom