Unbiased Evaluations of Drysuits Anywhere?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

raviepoo

Contributor
Reaction score
in exile in the Pennsyltucky Archipellago
# of dives
500 - 999
I've been trying to research drysuits on the net and I am even more confused than when I started. I can't seem to find unbiased reviews of drysuits. I can't even find anything that compares suits feature for feature. In my fantasy review I envision a comparison chart showing some simple, objective facts such as:

How much does the suit weigh dry?
How bulky is it when packed?
How buoyant is it? (In other words - test diver A needed 20 lbs in salt water to dive suit A, 25 lbs to dive suit B, etc.)
What kind of seals does it have?
What kind of boot (or sock) is standard?
Where are the valves placed?
What material is it made of?

I'd also like to see subjective information such as:

Seams leaked for 3 out of 10 test divers;
4 out of five test divers complained of being cold using the suit with the undergarment supplied by the manufacturer;
3 of the test divers ripped the neck seal while donning the suit;
7 out of 10 test divers complained of drag.
Etc.

The reviews I've seen to date are more like advertisments. Reading them is doing me absolutely no good. I'm just getting more and more confused and frustrated as I continue to read the available non-information.

It looks as if I am going to have to go to every single dive shop in the northeastern megalopolis and rent every single drysuit available in order to make an informed decision and purchase the right suit.

I have only one thing to say about the hunt for the perfect drysuit:

AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:banging:

Originally posted by raviepoo
AAAAAAAAARRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:banging:
I am sure your frustration is compunded by the desire to buy the perfect suit the first time coupled with the certain knowledge that Murphy will see to it that your failure in that regard will not make itself evident until you are in the middle of your first dive.

Your best bet is to review all the archived posts on this board concerning drysuits.

You worse bet is to review manufacturer's brochures.

Saaaaayyyyyy.... why don't you just ask us for our collective recommendations after telling us a bit about yourself...
Dive experience, physical dimensions, planned dive activity, budget and anything else you can think of...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom