Unbalanced Pistons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pos-tech

Registered
Reaction score
I know what I say about pistons, but anyone use an unbalanced piston on a deco ao travel gas. They performe well at shallow depths and have very few falure points. Also get stiff when air pressure drops a good remider for all who have fallen asleep during deco.???

IMO, deco is no place for a poor performing reg. I spend alot of time there I want a great reg. I haven't noticed any difference in failure rate between balanced and unbalanced. Come to think of it I have no use for an unbalanced reg except maybe an an argon bottle.

Everyone is different. I personally use an unbalanced piston for deco bottles. They are as simple as it gets, (one moving part) they only breathe hard when deep (where most divers don't pull deco) or when low on tank pressure, (less than 1200 psi).
Mine is ancient and still works like a champ. It breathes as well as most of my other regs until I get down to around 140' or tank pressure gets low. (Even at low tank pressure, up shallow it still works great)
I think they're a great, reliable choice for deco bottles. (They make a good primary reg for many sport divers on a budget too)
Just personal choice I suppose.

I use the Sherwood Brut unbalanced piston for my 13 cf Pony and I have no complaints. Breathes well at 130'. I bumped the intermediate pressure to 145 so it breathes a little better than most.

Back
Top Bottom