Ultrasonic Cleaning?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That goes back to people that tried to clean Plexiglas/Lucite in methanol in an ultrasonic bath. Try it with a scrap piece, the plastic will come out full of cracks.
Probably why they don't use plexiglass or lucite in any regs! Do you have any alerts from any reg manufacturer that tells us not to put plastic items in the soup? I've read that very thing about Simple Green in a Atomic Reg manual and I think one other, but I don't recall anything about plastic in them at all.

This is the one I own:

517hKCUVwPL.jpg

http://smile.amazon.com/Kendal-Comm...453568277&sr=8-10&keywords=Ultrasonic+Cleaner

The Kendall uses 65 watt ultrasonic transducers - the other 100 watts is heater. The L&R I use has 320 watt transducers. With that size transducer - you don't need a heater - it heats on it's own.

Kendall versus L&R Model 2014
$88 versus $600+
65 watt versus 320 watt
2.6 qts versus 3.4 qts
40K hz versus not published - tuned for cleaning regs (43 Khz?)

Make sure the cleaner you purchase will have a large enough bath to accommodate your parts. Kendall doesn't publish the dimensions of their tank - only volume. If you are cleaning larger parts ( i.e. manifold crossbars in doubles ) you'll need a larger tank/

Probably why they don't use plexiglass or lucite in any regs! Do you have any alerts from any reg manufacturer that tells us not to put plastic items in the soup? I've read that very thing about Simple Green in a Atomic Reg manual and I think one other, but I don't recall anything about plastic in them at all.
No, heard nothing. Let me know if you do hear anything and I'll stop doing it too.

DA, what do you think of this Kendall? It's only $88

http://www.amazon.com/Kendal-Indust...2&sr=8-2&keywords=Kendall++Ultrasonic+Cleaner

I own 4 reg sets & only intend to maintain ours. The cleaner will see other duty for gun parts, fired brass & such, but not so much to justify a real expensive unit. At the same time it needs to be able to get the job done.

It's the same one sold by Harbor Freight (and the same model is sold for brass cleaning purposes by a couple of reloading companies).

As noted above it will work, but for another $40-$50 you can get a commercial model with a stainless steel case and a bit more power that will hold up better.

I don't expect to be cleaning manifolds. $600 is more than I have any reason to spend on this. Pete's at $160 is doable.
After five years or so, the electronic buttons went south. I wired up two momentary switches and it's worked like a champ. If I bought it again, I would cover the front with clear tape.

I'm just recently into the US and cleaning game ...

Bought a Trusonik 1.5L (60W with 100W heater) from ebay,

I do 10:1 with vinegar and then 10:1 soak in simple green, then a soak in clean water to get rid of the simple green funk (as per my reg instructor).

5 minutes is plenty, and metal parts with plastic go in for 2-3 minutes into the cycle (probably the whole cycle could be shorter honestly, but it works for timing as I'm cleaning/moving parts from the next step to the rinse). As I use it more, I'll figure out to do either shorter cycles, or dilute it down more.

I don't think it's big enough to hold a centre manifold in one go as is (but maybe), but holds a balanced diaphragm 1st stage no problem.

BRad

Back
Top Bottom