Ulsan, Korea diving scene

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey there

Ulsan has got some dive opportunities but the issue is equipment and possible experience level, i.e. if you need a guide etc you will likely find a language barrier.

In my opinion the best diving near to you is in Pohang or anywhere further up the East coast, towards the end of the summer the South coast is also pretty good.

If you need help getting out or have any questions in general I am based in Busan and run a dive club that you can find on facebook by searching "busan scuba"

Safe diving

Drew

I was there last year and found one dive shop (closed) on the water in Busan. It looked like a "meet up" spot for divers, and not an actual retail storefront. Further inland, we also found a TDI shop in Eonyang, but it was surrounded by weeds and didn't seem to be open for business. There were several AL40 bottles rigged up for deco that looked pretty fresh sitting just inside the glass doors. I was fascinated and walked by several times during my trip, hoping to run across a fellow diver, as it was right down the street from my daughter's apartment. I didn't find anything dive related while in Ulsan. I wish I'd know about Scoobydrew then!

I'd love to hear what you find. Beautiful place to visit, even with no diving that trip. Enjoy!

Shirley

There are actually a lot of dive centres around Ulsan, Busan and Korea as a whole, just take a look at the store finder on padi.com also ssi, naui, bsac and other agencies have strong presence there.

As above the issue is the language barrier, I work as an instructor for a centre in Busan and am the only (native) English speaking instructor in the area to my knowledge. The nearest to me apart from the shark tank (Busan aquarium) is in Seoul, Jeju or Oosan. Some of the Korean outfits do have English ability but it depends on how much you actually require.

Shirley - it sounds like the store you saw on the sea front was in Haeundae... as this is the prime beach front area of the city there are limited SCUBA activities there. diving from that point is almost non existent as it is very featureless and the overheads are so high, the most of the dive centres in Busan are located near a beach called Taejongdae which is on an island from the south of the city called Yeongdo

Cool, if wither of you are ever in the area and want info on what is going on then just drop me a line

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom