UK Sunlight D8 or IkeLite Super8 RCD for Primary

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rjens

Reaction score
UK Sunlight D8 or IkeLite Super8 RCD for Primary

I am looking for a rec diving primary light for night diving in the Monterey area and have narrowed it to these two lights. From the specs, it appears the UK has a longer burn time 7-10 hours vs 4-6 for the Ikelite. The UK is xenon and the IkeLite is halogen. Both are 14 watt, but the UK specifies Alkaline batteries where the Ikelite appears to allow any D Cells. I assume either would be a good light, but since prices are about equal, I am curious if there is anything I have missed. Specifically anything that makes one better than the other. IF so, please let me know.

FWI, I have a pair of PCas that I use for daytime diving, these will be my backups for night diving.

im not sure if the Ikelite as this feature but the UK D8 has a twin bulb setup for backup...i havent had to use this option yet but its good to know its there

Cam

As mentioned adove the twin bulb is great, redundency in one unit, But get good NMHI batts.

Thanks for the feedback. Makes sense.

Get the UK's. I love mine, if you take care of them they won't let you down. I have an ikelite camera housing, but no experience with their lights, excellent products.

Another vote for the UK. Their lights are solid and alot cheaper than the Ikelite. Also something else you might want to consider. UK is coming out with an LED option for their lights. It is the trend that is catching on faster than digital is replcing film in cameras. I notice that you mentioned the factor of burn time. LED's will blow away the conventional bulbs in that department. The LED they will be using is a single High Output LED. These are also less sensitive to dropping and shaking.

I have the D8, and love it. Twin bulbs, different wattage. If you need longer burn time, use lower wattage light. For me though, doing a couple dives with bright bulb is no problem since I bought rechargable battery pack. I just go home, charge it, and am ready to go. highly recommend this option.

I have some of the proto type LED heads from UK - and they are not as bright as the standard bulb... but they are not shy by a lot... and they are much whiter - so the overall effect seems they are just as bright in the water.

The first one shipping will fit the C8 and C4 - the D8 is really not that big of a seller for them as it is so much bulkier without being any brighter... just slightly longer burn time, and with the LED heads - in a C8 the burn time is over 8 hours anyway.

Interesting thing about the LED - doesn't give a flip about the voltage - so the same head can be swapped from a C4 to a C8 - just as bright in both... just double the burn time with 8 c cells.... pretty neat.

I'm actually using some of these for a big salt water pond in the middle of our showroom - to light up the fish - with a dive light - of course we'll hook up a transformer for the juice - but they are so compact and white - they look great - and heck, it's in a dive shop - you should see a dive light in the pond!

The first consumer ones should be shipping in the next week. We can't wait to get them in!

I'll throw my vote in for UK. I've had a number of Ikelite's and they always seem to be giving me problems - bulb's burn out quick, flooding, etc.

I've got an UK C4 and SL4 - never a problem. Had them for over three year with moderate usage (ie. 15-20 night dives per year) and haven't had to change the bulb yet.

Just my $.02 worth.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom