UK Sunlight C8 vs D8

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TravelDave

Contributor
Reaction score
Haven't done much shopping to date, but I've heard good things about the UK lights. I'm looking for an inexpensive but decent primary light.

At least at one shop the D8 is cheaper than the C8.

Any suggestions on choosing one versus the other?

Thanks
Dave

A C8 was my first light, it's great. The D8 is frickin' huge, for some reason the C8 is much more manageable, the only possible downside is you can't put a lantern handle on the C8, I'd recommend it over the D8 nonetheless.

Ben

I have a C8 and have really liked it. D Batteries cost a bit more than C's. That's why I went with the C8.

I have the D8R and love it.

30W high power and 14W low power, burn time of 1-2hrs depending on bulb used and recharges overnight quite happily.

It allows the 2 style handles although caution that the handle design is in my view not the most stable (ive had a buddy have his torch separate from handle during a roll into the water).

The only downside is the D8 is heavy on land but its nice and light underwater.

I also would never get a non rechargable torch. It just works out too expensive.

The D8 has a longer burn time (6~7 hours) and throws out more light.
The C8 is much smaller. (and lighter out of the water)

I have a D8 and I like it a lot, although I'm probably not going to use it that much now that I have a canister light.

I'd suggest handling them in the dive store with full batteries and decide.
As for the grip on the D8, I prefer the pistol grip over the lantern. I originally got the lantern grip but then changed it out as I found myself using it as a suboptimal pistol grip. As for the stability, never had a problem with it. There's a small screw that holds the grip in place in the load-bearing groove of the body. If the screw is missing or somehow got loosened, then the grip may come off, but that's highly unlikely, IMO.

I have a D8 and hate it, weighs a ton and switch isnt very reliable. C8 definitely seems the way to go.

paulwlee:
There's a small screw that holds the grip in place in the load-bearing groove of the body. If the screw is missing or somehow got loosened, then the grip may come off, but that's highly unlikely, IMO.

Ive seen it detach twice now - even if the screw is tight the one i saw last week has actually bent the plastic at the top of the groove where it slides in so there is no way of holding it in at all - the plastic is bent outwards. It did that during the standard backward roll entry.

have a D8 and hate it, weighs a ton and switch isnt very reliable.

Weighs a ton out of the water but very little in the water - its possible to hold for hour long dives without any arm ache at all. Not sure of what you mean with the switch, 2 positions and a lock to prevent accidental activation - AFAIK its pretty much the same design as C4 and other models.

Ihave the D8 and love it especially with the option of using a recharge kit and being able to switch between a 30W high and 14W low. It is a ***** to carry on land, but I like it non the less.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom