UK SL4eLED vs Ikelite PC Lite Led

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kiwi Sean

Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi all.

This is my first post on these forums after lurking for a long while. Thanks for all the great information!

I am looking to get a diving light. Recreational use, with an expected use of 40% night dives, 60% daytime use looking in crevices etc.

After reading various reviews here and elsewhere, I have narrowed down my choice to between the UK SL4eLED vs Ikelite PC Lite Led (other similar lights have been left out of the choice due to not being available here).

Does anyone have both of these lights? Or has used both of these lights? If so, your thoughts on which to chose would be very welcome. The Ikelite is around US$50(!) cheaper here in NZ.

thanks!
Sean

Hi all.

This is my first post on these forums after lurking for a long while. Thanks for all the great information!

I am looking to get a diving light. Recreational use, with an expected use of 40% night dives, 60% daytime use looking in crevices etc.

After reading various reviews here and elsewhere, I have narrowed down my choice to between the UK SL4eLED vs Ikelite PC Lite Led (other similar lights have been left out of the choice due to not being available here).

Does anyone have both of these lights? Or has used both of these lights? If so, your thoughts on which to chose would be very welcome. The Ikelite is around US$50(!) cheaper here in NZ.

thanks!
Sean

I have not used the Ikelite but based on their specs they are using older LED technology. They are also about half the brightness with the same runtime.

Hi Sean,
You may want to check out these IST's I modify.
Modified IST dive light orders. - Page 2 - CandlePowerForums
May be a little more pricey than the 2 you are looking at (Im not sure what their prices are) but I can assure you they put out more light and and very robust.

If you live in Auckland Im more than happy to show you one in the flesh.

I chose the Ikelite PCm LED. It's tiny with 4 AA batteries and 3-5 hrs of run time, enough for charged Ni-MH batteries. It's my primary light with 5 watt LED.

Adam

I am using a Xenon SL4 with a Cree R2 LED module dropped in it. It makes about twice the output as an LED SL4 for half the price. You just need to modify the outer spring and reverse the battery order. Paid $30 for the SL4 and $10 for the LED. Super for crevices, haven't tried it for any night diving yet. I'd guess roughly 200 lumens. Battery seems to last at least 10 hours. I left it on while I was at work one day and it's still going strong on the original batteries.

Thanks everyone for the input. I managed to organise a side-by-side comparison of the two, and for my money the UK seemed to have a better build quality and was noticeably brighter. It won the day.

Packhorse, thanks for the suggestion - I am down in Wellington, and will certainly keep your lights in mind for my next one...!

cheers
Sean

I am using a Xenon SL4 with a Cree R2 LED module dropped in it. It makes about twice the output as an LED SL4 for half the price. You just need to modify the outer spring and reverse the battery order. Paid $30 for the SL4 and $10 for the LED. Super for crevices, haven't tried it for any night diving yet. I'd guess roughly 200 lumens. Battery seems to last at least 10 hours. I left it on while I was at work one day and it's still going strong on the original batteries.

Why are the major light manufacturers ignoring CREE LEDs? I have some of the Fenix topside lights and they are simply the best flashlights I have ever owned because they use CREE LEDs.

Can I ask you what it is in their specs that indicates older technology?

Adam

They are using 5watt LED's rated at 48 lumens with a 10 hour burn time. A Cree 3watt LED would be double or more the lumens with the same runtime.

Thanks everyone for the input. I managed to organise a side-by-side comparison of the two, and for my money the UK seemed to have a better build quality and was noticeably brighter. It won the day.

Packhorse, thanks for the suggestion - I am down in Wellington, and will certainly keep your lights in mind for my next one...!

cheers
Sean

One of the guys from SOD's dive club lives in Wellington and has a couple of the modded ISTs. Im sure he wouldnt mind giving you a demo.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom