UK SL4 Xenon to LED mod question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Sirto

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I posted this on an older thread and got no response so I'm trying again with a new thread.

Well, here's something I haven't seen discussed in regard to the SL4 mod. I just got the cree R5 module and used a split washer to center the module and make the connection. When I screwed the top on the light worked except that the switch does not turn it off. I need to unscrew it slightly to get the light to go off.

In investigating the reason for this I found that when the batteries are installed backwards the switch completes the circuit in both positions as confirmed by measuring voltage between the battery and the contact controlled by the switch. I found the same was true on my other SL4 so I don't believe it's a problem with my lights.

It seems that the shape/movement of the switch contact doesn't work with the flat (negative) side of the battery.

I know several of you have made this mod so, anyone else experience this?

I guess everyone was too humiliated to admit their mods failed.:D

I've done 2 each of the SL4s and SL6s and haven't seen this problem. I don't know the working of the switch in these lights, it would be interesting to know what's going on. You wouldn't think a tab contact would be affected by the larger contact surface of the negative end.

Do you think something in your mod could be canting the batteries or distorting the case?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom