UK light canon eled performance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Big Toes

Contributor
Reaction score
Been diving with the traditional HID light canon for years now but am intrigued by what UK is doing with leds and specifically the new light canon. I realize that there are posts on here relating to different aspects of how the old and new compare, but what I was really looking for here was feedback on real-world performance from somebody that's used the new led model and, preferrably, also the older HID unit.

Most of my diving is either in the dark or in very murky conditions (this would be a primary light, by the way) so I've always really liked the 'punch' power of the HID. I do, however, have some concerns about using an led as a primary, specifically I'm thinking 'durable and long lasting, yet weak'.

Anyhow, any feedback anybody may have would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

-Erik

Don't just look at the UK Led's [I use the UK eLED P1's, 10+ hr burn time/400+ lumen and they work well ].....DRIS has a 1000 Lumen 'Shorty', three hrs+ on lithiums and Intova has several models...It comes down to Lumen/burn time/pattern size, weight and size.....It's what works best for your needs........

I think led light is a rather good choice.Led light will become a tendency.Thanks.

I am using a dual GreenForce setup, which allows me to use both a HID150 and a TriStar (3 LEDs).

The initial reasons for this choice were strong light (HID), temperature of the ligh (HID, and a bit in the LED), battery autonomy (both), heat issue outside of the water (LED), resistance to shock (LED).

So my initial plan was to use the HID as main lamp during the dive, while the LED would serve as backup (if the HID bulb breaks) and for ligthning my way, when being out of the water.

While my HID is still performing slightly better especially in clear water, I realized that it is not that much of the difference in murky conditions. Also there are LED lightheads with a higher number LEDs.

What is more relevant to check is how the light is focussed. Especially in murky water a narrower lightbeam (HID or LED) will give better results than one that lightens a broad landscape (HID would prob. perform better).

Actually I am looking into some lightheads like the Heptastar/Nonastar with 7 or 9 LEDS and it might well be that it will replace definitely my HID.

Last edited:
I am using a dual GreenForce setup, which allows me to use both a HID150 and a TriStar (3 LEDs).

The initial reasons for this choice were strong light (HID), temperature of the ligh (HID, and a bit in the LED), battery autonomy (both), heat issue outside of the water (LED), resistance to shock (LED).

So my initial plan was to use the HID as main lamp during the dive, while the LED would serve as backup (if the HID bulb breaks) and for ligthning my way, when being out of the water.

While my HID is still performing slightly better especially in clear water, I realized that it is not that much of the difference in murky conditions. Also there are LED lightheads with a higher number LEDs.

What is more relevant to check is how the light is focussed. Especially in murky water a narrower lightbeam (HID or LED) will give better results than one that lightens a broad landscape (HID would prob. perform better).

Actually I am looking into some lightheads like the Heptaphot/Nonaphot with 7 or 9 LEDS and it might well be that it will replace definitely my HID.

from which century are you guy ? :D

I like mine. LED seems to last forever on one set of batteries too.

I have had mine for about a year. I've changed the batteries once in 75 dives. I tried both the HID model and the LED model and there is a significant difference. If you can hold onto it I know that their dealers usually have some sort of BOGO deal. That's how my buddy and I got ours.

Back
Top Bottom