UK-Germany & BlueBoxx - Pentax Housings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Fish Food

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I'm trying to find housing makers for a Pentax DSLR. I found two, but they are both German based. UK-Germany & BlueBoxx. (I don't really have any good English links for either company) Has anyone had dealings with either of these folks?

Also, Ive been told Ikelite makes custom housings. I can't find anything about it on their website. How much would that run me?

I have a UK-Germany housing for my *stDS. I cannot speak more highly for their service or for the quality of the housing. Everyone who has looked at it has been impressed by the design and build quality, easily on a par with the likes of Subal and Nexus.

Pics of my housing (Mark’s Stuff » UK-Germany Housing)

If you look at the second page, the first pics of the housing only have one handle. When I first bought it, I inquired about a second handle, but was told they don't make one - just hold the strobe arm. A year later when I bought a full set of o-rings from them to service the housing myself (which were happily supplied along with instructions and pictures on how to do it), I was surprised to find two new moulded handles and a bracket for the left one.

The housing set me back in the vicinity of 1500 euro including a standard flat port with zoom ring for the DA18-55m, and an extension suitable for the DFA100mm macro. Its pricey, but comparable to other housings of similar quality.

Nice set up Froop! One question though, does yours have/can they make a focus ring?

Eveyrone has their nice little Cannikon in the cute little Ikelite... But a Pentax in a black aluminum, now that's the stuff :eyebrow:

Now I just need the USD to go back up :rofl3:

sjspeck, thanks for the link!

I did ask about a focos ring for the 100mm macro, and although not standard, it was possible to do by using the zoom ring. So you can either have zoom or focus. But I'm just not sold on the accuracy of being able to focus through my mask and the housing viewfinder. I set the "OK" button function to AF Cancel, so if I find the camera hunting I can force the shutter by holding down OK. Beside, adding a focus ring the camera would be stuck in MF, as and you wouldn't be able to switch to AF. Even if you also had an AF/MF switch added, the gearing would most likely put too much strain on the AF motor.

And its so much nicer having something different (and much schmicker) than a big see through plastic Nikolite :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom