UK Divers, WWII planes

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am no downed plane spotter but do know there are probably hundreds of downed aircraft in the North Sea.

Sadly few of these are intact since Me109s were pretty good at shooting up our aircarft at the start of the war and we were pretty good at returning the favour later on with Spitfires and Mustangs. Most aircraft wrecks are just that; wreckage.

The North Sea is mostly about 30-40 meters deep with odd spots down to about 80 metres so depth is not a problem but these wrecks are notoriously difficult to find becuse viz in the North sea is so bad and they are often missed even when using a magnetometer to search for them (I drool when I see pictures of Truk lagoon!).

There are at least 35 shipwrecks per mile off the coast on the bottom of the North Sea (at least in the South and East) and the vast majority are most certainly worth visiting.

I dived on a German WWII plane in Alexandria (Egypt) Harbour. Its at about 6m and right on top of the remains of the ancient city.

WWII aircraft are places like

Papua New Guinea - I've dived a B17, B25, P38 Lightning, Catalina, Pete biplane & Zero fighter

Palau - there's a fantastic Zeke in about 60ft near the Palau Pacific Resort

Marshalls Islands - Avengers & 500lb pounds on the Saratoga and p[arts on the Calrisle at Bikini. Kawanishi flying boats in Jaluit Atoll, from where they took off to recce for the attack on Pearl Harbour

Truk - Betty & Emily bombers on seafloor, plus parts etc in most of the freighters

There's supposed to be an intact B17 in a river in Canada somewhere, but I don't know where.

Jim

We have a few here in Denmark, however, most in poor condition. There's one Bloom and Voss plane with a boat shape meant for water take of and landing that's just been put on dry land again. It can be seen in the aviation museum. But that of course are very shallow dives :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom