UK Coastguard cuts !!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Wantonmien

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On trips to the UK, I always pick up a copy of "Diver" magazine, and was quite amazed when I read in the opening section aof March 2011 edition about the 'wise' UK government planning to swing the axe to save money over the UK coastguard services, elminate numerous regional centres, reduce staffing and try an centralise all services - whilst at the same time advising that more and more incidents are being responded to.

Surely Investment and upgrading are needed - not cuts to finance government ministers with daft ideas !

Worth reading MCA - Home

Most defnetly worth adding your name in objection to Save the UK Coastguard Centres Petition

Summary Text from petition page as follows

To: UK Coalition Government

The government has recently announced its intention to turn the UK's 18 Coastguard Co-ordination Centres into THREE 24hr centres & FIVE that are only open during daylight hours (see BBC News - Coastguard stations set to be slashed).

UK Coastguard HQ Centres are responsible for the co-ordination of Search and Rescue along the UK coastline, as well as providing shipping information and a number of other essential services along the UK coastline.

Announcing the cuts, Shipping Minister Mike Penning said "Our seas are becoming busier, with larger ships and increasing numbers of offshore renewable energy platforms making key areas of our seas more congested. There are also increasing numbers of people using our beaches, coastlines and seas for leisure activities.”

If 10 Coastguard HQ Centres close and only 3 are left operating 24/7 then the implications will be massive; affecting both maritime shipping and the lives of hundreds of thousands of tourists across the UK each year.

It's time to show the government just how important the Coastguard HQ centres around the UK are! This petition is intended to urge the UK Coalition Government to urgently review this decision. The safety of those at sea and on the beach is far more important than any cost savings.

Save money on minister's salaries, not by endangering lives!

Sincerely,

Well, The US used to have 13 licensing offices where you went to take a test or apply for a license or Merchant Mariners Document. When they moved all of those functions (except test taking) to one office in West Virginia, the howls could be heard all the way to the UK, I'm sure. License renewal went from 30 days to 6 months, and many mariners couldn't work because they let their license renewal go too long. We all moaned and bitched about how the US Coast Guard was destroying the livlihood of the US mariner.

Fast forward 3 years. I've just visited the regional office in Miami for the last time. Since I went from a paper license to the new "credential", I felt I should take the renewal package in to deliver it in person, just to make sure they hadn't screwed it up again. There was only one person there, and she handled my renewal efficiently, personably, and wondered why I hadn't mailed it in. I have my new document back in 12 days instead of the old 30. It is correct. All of my endorsements are included.

As an added bonus, I didn't have to deal with the crap-shoot of an evaluator that didn't like me (I had gone over her head on an issue, and won the hearing). Everything was anonymous, and went very smoothly. Consolidation isn't always bad, if done correctly.

Additionally, US Coast Guard Search and Recovery Coordination centers (forgive my American spelling) have reduced to one in each district, instead on one in each sector. With modern methods of communication, I can be in Haiti, and still call US based assets in District Miami and receive the same service that I used to get from Key West, etc. The assets may come out of wherever they are located (Helo's in Miami, Planes in St. Pete, boats and cutters wherever they are), but coordination is from the district office. Works great.

in an attempt to be fair (and i don't know why the hell i should) these cuts have been on the cards for a long time. i can't say i'm happy with them, all you need to do is listen to the traffic on the radio on summer weekends & you can tell how overstretched they are. I have been involved in rescues (i listen to the radio & if there's an incident i volunteer providing my divers are in the boat & safe) and there's something comforting to have someone on the other end of the radio conversation who knows exactly where you are, not from the radar/ a chart or a description, but because he/she is local to the area. the number of things we waste money on the life protecting/saving services should be sacrosanct!

he's moonlighting anyway!

- and busy playing in helicopters airlifting climbers off Snowdon mountain - my dad tells me he flies past his house and gives a wave most days !

Last edited:
sylpha,

I couldn't agree more, thinking of cuts to save cash on such a vital life saving service that is currently stretched is ridiculous. The guys/gals who keep the service running either as paid or volunteers need additional finance, bonuses and support as their role is vital.

The article in the March 2011 "Diver" mag was the first time I'd heard of the proposed cuts, and it asks for divers to get their names on the petition to comment on the planned cuts - thus my raising topic on here.

Cheers

in an attempt to be fair (and i don't know why the hell i should) these cuts have been on the cards for a long time. i can't say i'm happy with them, all you need to do is listen to the traffic on the radio on summer weekends & you can tell how overstretched they are. I have been involved in rescues (i listen to the radio & if there's an incident i volunteer providing my divers are in the boat & safe) and there's something comforting to have someone on the other end of the radio conversation who knows exactly where you are, not from the radar/ a chart or a description, but because he/she is local to the area. the number of things we waste money on the life protecting/saving services should be sacrosanct!

As an expatriated british diver, this is the first I have heard of this.

Is there a petition somewhere to sign? 10 years ago they were overworked, and I can't imagine what things will be like now.

J

OK, its not just a new prescription mask that I need, but new glasses as well.

I'll go off to a dark corner and write 100 time "I must read the previous posts properly"

Jon

PS petition signed

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom