UEO dangers

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dsenloe

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Ive read about people finding munitions while diving, and at one time found a 3" projectile in mazatlan. My question is this, does the salt water and corrosion render the fulminate in priming inert, what happens to the propellant and what dangers are there in spent projectiles. I do not plan on salvaging any of this junk but I was just wondering

Sorry, I thought you had written "UFO" dangers. Watch out for those anal probes. A real problem, unless you are a certain Florida congressman or an influential Evangelical Christian.

Unexploded devices that are completely flooded by saltwater are usually inert, though some can become lethal again when they dry out. Big stuff is almost always well sealed against water intrusion, and some smaller munitions as well. They are, after all, designed to be used at sea. A sure fire way of finding out if they still work is to strike them with a hammer. If you are killed, then it was still a live round. Since this is not a viable (intentional pun) option, it is far wiser to NOT TOUCH ANYTHING larger than a rifle cartridge, even if it's been submerged for years.
Primers are usually the most effectively sealed part of a shell. I inherited a WW1 'whizz bang" that had the propellant powder, contact fuse, and projectile explosive removed. It was a form of trench art, with all kinds of engraving on the brass shell. I examined it, and discovered that the big primer was intact! I disposed of it by giving it to my former wife.

Back
Top Bottom