Uemis

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
What's the story on UEMIS? I read it's bankrupt and I still see ads for it on Scubaboard. I would have thought if it was bankruptcy they could not afford to place ads? I'm looking for an LED computer for recreational night diving.

Adam

I have the Shearwater and like it alot. Great screen, very readable, very well laid out. Software is excellent.

I have friends with the Liquidvision X1 and the Xen (bottom timer version of the Xeo). The downside I've heard to the Xen is a very short battery live, so I assume the Xeo would be the same.

I've looked at the specs of the computers you mention, and they're all geared to the tech diver. I'd like a digital compass and wireless AI and graphics. I'm looking at the Mares HD Icon when the AI version comes out-- it has a color LCD display, maybe not as bright as OLED but still an active light display.

I have trouble seeing the numbers on my Vyper in night diving. The light reflects off the screen with a lot of glare.

Adam

Uemis make a really nice computer. If they are in liquidation, then there may be efforts to sell their remaining stock to pay debts. Or possibly it is dealers placing the adverts to shift their remaining stock also.

The downside is that you might not get any service/support. The upside is that you might get an awesome bargain.

If you are in the market to get an OLED computer... then the X1 is in a similar price range. That's an awesome computer.

I've looked at the specs of the computers you mention, and they're all geared to the tech diver. I'd like a digital compass and wireless AI and graphics.

True, except for the Cobalt. That one has a really nice interface and ticks all your boxes, except for the wireless AI. They're supposed to be working on one. The Cobalt developer has an account on scubaboard (RonR) - you might ask him about their plans for AI.

Check out the Cobalt interface here.

True, except for the Cobalt. That one has a really nice interface and ticks all your boxes, except for the wireless AI. They're supposed to be working on one. The Cobalt developer has an account on scubaboard (RonR) - you might ask him about their plans for AI.

Check out the Cobalt interface here.

I used to be very pro console, then someone pointed out that using the console ties up your hand. You have to actively pull out the console from the retractor, and then you end up diving holding the console in your hand. I've also had problems with lights clipped to my D rings getting tangled in the retractor cable holding my console. So I've come around to wrist units.

Someone mentioned 2012 for an Atomic wrist unit, and seeing the problems they're had with the console that's probably optimistic. After all wireless requires complete redesign and introduction of new technology. The HD Icon I'm sure will come out with wireless AI before Atomics, in fact I read it's already available in Europe.

I'd like to hear how well the X1 digital compass works, as I could not see much on it. Also now there is the Liquivision XEO which has nicer format.

Adam

You can also look at the Uwatec Galilo Sol. It does have the integrated compass plus other features but it doesn't have the nice colorful screen the others have. plus it has AI.

You can also look at the Uwatec Galilo Sol. It does have the integrated compass plus other features but it doesn't have the nice colorful screen the others have. plus it has AI.

Can I ask you how the Sol behaves in night diving? My Vyper is terrible when I shine a light on it I can barely read the digits.

Adam

Ipersonally don't know never used the computer on a dive. I was looking into the Galilo, Uemis and Mares Icon. I have played with it on Land and seems to be quite good. Again not as colourful as the others but has everything I believe even Tri-Mix, Heart rate monitor and other features. It does mention it has a backlight which you can set, But that may be a drawback as with the other Bright colorful screens they are always lit up and easy to read, where at night with this you would have to push a button for screen to light up or shine a light.

Here is a link to the site:
GALILEO SOL - SCUBAPRO

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom