Uemis Zurich SDA

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ijdod

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I recently got my hands on a Uemis Zurich SDA dive computer, and I decided to write a small review on it. The SDA features a color OLED display, a solar panel for recharging, system-independent synchronisation, multi-gas capabilities, bi-direction communication beteen SDA's and hoseless air integration. There will be an (optional) trimix update in the near future.

The SDA comes in a largish and pretty box, which contains the SDA, the tank transmitter, the USB adapter, a USB cable, a small Torx screwdriver for the cover screws, a quick start manual and a splash proof quick reference booklet. The full manual is available as a PDF download from the Uemis website.

The unit itself looks very well built, and is quite large and heavy. It resembles the Uwatec Galileo computers in general size. There's a largish display, an obvious solar panel on the top, and 3 buttons situated next to the screen. Two of there buttons are actually dual buttons, as they can move both ways, so there's effectively 5 buttons available. The entire top cover of the unit can be removed by removing 2 small screws, and optionally changed with a different color. Current available colors are black, gray, red, yellow, blue and pink. The cover includes the buttons, which use magnetic switches to connect to the internals of the unit itself. The SDA charges through USB, and through it's solar panel.

The strap is a fairly clever one. It resembles somewhat the buckle used on the usual tank strap. You tighten the strap, and lock the buckle. Releasing it is a bit tricky at first, but as you get used to it, it becomes easy to do. The unit comes with the medium strap, and shorter and longer versions are optionally available, and easily and quickly replaced without tooling. The design is not failure proof, but it was easy to attach an extra bungee for extra security. I found the medium strap to work fine on my drysuit and gloves, but I think the shorter strap will be better when you're wearing thinner garments.

The display is beautiful. The OLED display actually illuminates every pixel, and doesn't need a polarization filter like LCD displays, so it's visible from any angle, even in the dark. The colors are bright, and when the SDA shows a warning (orange or red) it's hard to miss. There's a charge symbol that indicates charge by USB or solar power.

When you enter the menu's, the buttons work like cursor keys, and the OK button okays a selection with a normal press, and acts as 'back' on a longer press. This works fairly well, but does take some getting used to. There's lots of options to set, and the divelog is very comprehensive. In surface mode the display shows relevant information like surface time, no fly time and such. In dive mode the main numbers are the usual suspects like depth, No-deco bottom time, air time remaining, dive time and tank pressure. The buttons give access to extra information (among which is the option to see the information from SDA computer of your buddies), as well as set markers. The normal color is green, warnings are shown in orange or red, depending on their severity.

The tank transmitter is par for the course for such units. The battery cover is situated on the top of the unit, allowing access while it is mounted on the first stage. It doesn't have a hole for a swivel spool though, so it can't be mounted in place of a regular analog pressure gauge (or on a short HP hose) . I suggested this to Uemis, and they seemed to like the idea, and told me they would look into adding that feature for the next batch of transmitters. Uemis support has been great so far. I've just had some minor questions and suggestions, but they responded quickly.

The SDA does not come with locally installed software, but synchronizes with an online web-based service called MyUemis. The SDA connects to a USB port by connecting the USB adapter to the bottom of the device, then connecting it with a standard USB cable. When connected with a computer, the SDA behaves as an USB memory stick. Starting a webpage on the memory stick starts a Java applet which in turn connects to MyUemis. I've tested this with Windows XP, Windows 7 and Linux, and I suspect (and is claimed by Uemis) this will work on any modern OS. The data available is roughly the same in the SDA internal log, and on the MyUemis, although the latter has some extra graphs. All kinds of information can be added, like dive sites, coordinates, buddies and more. This information gets synchronized in both directions, so changes made on the SDA shows up on MyUemis, and vice versa. It is possible to renumber dives, and from the looks of things you can even copy data back from MyUemis to your SDA, should you lose your data (but I haven't tried this myself).

So far I'm very pleased with the SDA, and I look forward to testing it further in Egypt in a few weeks.

Some observations:

• MyUemis/the logbook have some room for improvement. Nothing too major, just things like being able to input your own equipment instead of the preconfigured values.
  • Uemis seems very interested in suggestions on how to improve their products.
  • The USB adapted that clips to the SDA seems a bit flimsy.
  • The safety stops seems rather strict, but that might just be that I'm too used to Suunto's implementation (and bottom following ascents) of a stop anywhere between 6 and 3 meters. The SDA sets a stop depth, and keeps a much stricter margin to that setting. There are a few options that control this behavior to some extend, so I'll keep experimenting with this a bit.

Hey,
just thought I give a quick reply on your impressions...
First of all thank you for the flowers, I will pass them on to the guys in Switzerland.

Just to comment on your notes:
- you can actually add the information in the logbook about your own gear, buddies, dive sites, notes, GPS data, weather, dive conditions, etc...The computer will store automatically all the necessary dive information ( depth, time, gas mix, Air consumption rate ) ( page 31 of the user manual )
- yes, we appreciate any suggestions
- you can personalize your own safety margins within the algorythm. Under Dive Settings - Safety you can select between Standard, Medium, High and Maximum Safety settings and you can also personalize the Deep Stop and safety stops ( check page 16 of your user manual )
- have fun in egypt!!!

Michael:D

Hey,
Just to comment on your notes:
- you can actually add the information in the logbook about your own gear, buddies, dive sites, notes, GPS data, weather, dive conditions, etc...The computer will store automatically all the necessary dive information ( depth, time, gas mix, Air consumption rate ) ( page 31 of the user manual )
- yes, we appreciate any suggestions

You can add your own buddies and divesites, but the gear is currently limited to a fixed list of gear items (wetsuit/drysuit/etc; shorty/full suit/etc). I've made a support ticket with the enhancement suggestion to allow your own gear items to be added to that list. (#13162)

- you can personalize your own safety margins within the algorythm. Under Dive Settings - Safety you can select between Standard, Medium, High and Maximum Safety settings and you can also personalize the Deep Stop and safety stops ( check page 16 of your user manual)

Yeah, I've got it figured out now. Essentially you set the top limit, and it doubles that for the lower limit. Setting it at 3m gives me the behaviour I want/expect.

- have fun in egypt!!!

A small update, after experiencing the SDA in Egypt.

For nightdives, the display was a dream. The lowest brightness setting was more than enough, and my buddy commented on not even bothering to look at his own computer if he could see mine. I played around a bit with the display brightness for daytime dives, and ended up at 40% brightness. 20% works well, but for shallow dives the sunlight could outshine it.

The color scheme works fairly well, but I felt the orange warning colour could have been better distinguishable from red under water. That said, either way it was always clear there was something requiring attention.

I charged my SDA before I started diving, to figure out how the battery charge would last. When on the surface, I usually wore my SDA on my wrist. I never purposefully put it in the sun to charge, and I'm no sunbather. Using it this way, I managed 10 dives (11 hours, 15 minutes), and I guess around 2 hours playing around with it on the surface, before it started to complain about a low battery (2 out of 6 bars remaining).

Some features I felt still left room for improvement:
- Still not sure how the safety stop indicator works; or rather when it will start it's countdown to zero.
- It could really use a usable air consumption graph, both in the device and online. The data is there, might as well show it.
- As mentioned above, more customization would be nice.
- It developped a hot pixel at dive 7 or so...

My main gripe with the SDA was that it died on dive number 11. One minute it was working fine, the next it was dead, and nothing I could do (both during the dive and after) would turn it back on. Finished the remainder of my holiday with my old computer.

I sent in the SDA, and they diagnosed a hardware failure which eventually fried the battery. It was exchanged for another one. Turnaround was 2 weeks, normal shipping.
Overall, I'm still quite pleased with the SDA, but I was not amused about it dying on me.

Some features I felt still left room for improvement:
- Still not sure how the safety stop indicator works; or rather when it will start it's countdown to zero.

Depending on your personal settings, the countdown starts once you reach the safety stop depth.

- It could really use a usable air consumption graph, both in the device and online. The data is there, might as well show it.
Hm, it does have that feature, both on the device as well as online. During the dive you can see that data when by using the lower right button, which will bring you through the dive mode. After the dive you can see it in the logbook function under "statistics". Online you can see it also in the dive details, but only if you used the computer as an air integrated unit.

Depending on your personal settings, the countdown starts once you reach the safety stop depth

Yes and no. It does start it's countdown at some point around the configured depth, but it starts showing the safetystop in the display well before that. This is, according to the manual, at twice the configured depth. It is unclear what margi n it uses for the actual countdown. If I set it at 3m safetystop, it shows the stop from 6m on, but it only starts counting down shallower than that. It is unclear how shallow.

What I actually expect, is that it has a safetystop 'zone' like Suunto implements. When I spent enough time at 5 meters, I don't like my computer to complain about not stopping at three meters. (For a safety stop, actual deco stops are obviously different)

Hm, it does have that feature, both on the device as well as online. During the dive you can see that data when by using the lower right button, which will bring you through the dive mode. After the dive you can see it in the logbook function under "statistics". Online you can see it also in the dive details, but only if you used the computer as an air integrated unit.

I didn't word that correctly; i ment in the log. The statistics only shows me the raw numbers. Pressure in, pressure out, avg consumption, max consumption. The graph online shows me a pressure graph overlaid on the dive graph. What I would like to see is an actual air consumption (liter/min) graph, ideally overlaid over the depth graph.

On what settings do you have the safety stop?

For the air consumption display in the log book function: In your on-line database, you can select the individual dive, click on profile and move the green arrow on top of the graph with your mouse through the dive. On the top you will then see, among other data, your actual tank pressure, your actual air consumption, the RGT ( remaining gas time ) as well as the CNS O2 percentage.
Not sure if this is, what you meant...

Michael

On what settings do you have the safety stop?

I did a few dives on default, but for most of my dives I had it set to 3m, which ment it started showing the safety stop at 6m

For the air consumption display in the log book function: In your on-line database, you can select the individual dive, click on profile and move the green arrow on top of the graph with your mouse through the dive. On the top you will then see, among other data, your actual tank pressure, your actual air consumption, the RGT ( remaining gas time ) as well as the CNS O2 percentage.
Not sure if this is, what you meant...

Close. What I would like to see is that data represented as a graph (like depth) overlaid on the dive profile, both on myuemis and on the SDA.

The tank transmitter is par for the course for such units. The battery cover is situated on the top of the unit, allowing access while it is mounted on the first stage. It doesn't have a hole for a swivel spool though, so it can't be mounted in place of a regular analog pressure gauge (or on a short HP hose) . I suggested this to Uemis, and they seemed to like the idea, and told me they would look into adding that feature for the next batch of transmitters.
Michael

Michael,

Is there any news on the spool issue on the transmitters?

This is a potential deal breaker if I cant fit the transmitter onto the first stage! :confused:

If uemis are going to upgrade the transmitter is there going to be an exchange option for people who had faith and were early purchasers?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom