UB-88 Retrospective

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beldridg

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
In 2021, I built a photogrammetry model of the UB-88 (World War I German submarine) off the coast of LA. It sank on Jan 3, 1921 (by "Bull" Halsey no less on the USS Wickes as target practice).

Recently, the team at Ghost Diving USA built a model as well and kindly sent me all of their models so I could do a comparison. In the past three years, there has been a rapid deterioration evident in multiple areas. I've recently written a post with detailed analysis of the changes:

I also provide links in the post to both on-line models so anybody can look for other changes in a short, less than 3 year period.

Here is one example of the changes (2024 model on top, my 2021 model on the bottom):

cover2.jpg

Regards,

- brett

Unfortunately, thin iron walls and salt water don't mix. Many of the shallow wrecks off Palos Verdes have collapsed into piles of rust in the past five years, The Landing Craft has very little relief left. The Redondo Barge has huge holes in the sides and top (it's upside down, so bottom) that weren't there even a year ago. The UB88 has done remarkably well for over a century. It's still a fish magnet. Unfortunately, it won't be much longer.

Unfortunately, thin iron walls and salt water don't mix. Many of the shallow wrecks off Palos Verdes have collapsed into piles of rust in the past five years, The Landing Craft has very little relief left. The Redondo Barge has huge holes in the sides and top (it's upside down, so bottom) that weren't there even a year ago. The UB88 has done remarkably well for over a century. It's still a fish magnet. Unfortunately, it won't be much longer.

Yes, I agree. For a WW 1 German submarine to survive 103+ years underwater and still not be completely eroded is pretty amazing. At one point I went inside the sub but wouldn't do that again at this point.

- brett

It is still on my list of California dive sites to see. Was scheduled back in 2021 but had weather that day. Ended up getting a back door viewing of the James Webb satellite that day instead. Will never get a chance to ever see that again. Someday I will see the UB88, or what is left of it.

To that, I have been watching other southern California wreck turn into more wrecks. Parts of the superstructure of the Yukon have been falling down in recent years. And that has been down for less than 25 years. The Ruby-e had a significant collapse several years back as well. This stuff doesn't last forever,

Unfortunately this'll be happening with greater and greater frequency on all the wrecks within scuba range. Those great WWII wrecks won't last forever.

It is still on my list of California dive sites to see. Was scheduled back in 2021 but had weather that day. Ended up getting a back door viewing of the James Webb satellite that day instead. Will never get a chance to ever see that again. Someday I will see the UB88, or what is left of it.

To that, I have been watching other southern California wreck turn into more wrecks. Parts of the superstructure of the Yukon have been falling down in recent years. And that has been down for less than 25 years. The Ruby-e had a significant collapse several years back as well. This stuff doesn't last forever,

You should definitely try to get to it. It is a really great dive.

I have some video somewhere of parts of the Yukon with big sheets of metal swaying back-and-forth in the surge. Because it is on the side, the bridge area was never meant to deal with forces in that plane and it is definitely breaking down.

Last time I was on the Ruby E (couple months), the whole bridge structure has now moved literally 10 feet back towards the aft from where it was on the starboard side.

- brett

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom