U513 located off the southern coast of Brazil

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Quero

Will be missed
Rest in Peace
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
I'm not a wreck diver myself, so apologies if I haven't included all relevant information, but I thought this news might interest some of you. I've translated the gist from postings on a Brazilian dive board.

The wreck of a German WWII U-513 submarine has been located off the coast of the Brazilian state of Santa Catarina at a depth of 75 meters. The sub was sunk by a US Navy Martin PMB bomber on June 19, 1943. Forty-six German crewmen died and only eleven survived.

A research team made up of archeologists and researchers from the University of the Vale do Itajai and the Kat Schurmann Institute spent two years searching for the wreck. The search process, both land and sea operations, were recorded for a documentary film titled U-513 Lone Wolf.

Eleven German submarines were sunk in Brazilian waters during World War II. This is the first to be located.

At the present time, there are no plans to permit wreck enthusiasts to dive the site.

I'm sure there are many Brazilian wreck divers dreaming about dive this U-boat!
The boat was located by the Schurmann family. They are producing a movie about the discovery (check U-513 for videos and details about their expedition)

I hope it will become an important dive spot in Brazil after the movie comes out. I'd love to see my country crowded of wreck divers from other places helping us to develop a "real diving industry", specially in wreck/tech diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom