U/W wedding videographers out there?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

drbill

The Lorax for the Kelp Forest
Scuba Legend
Rest in Peace
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Some of you know that I enjoy videotaping the courtship and mating behavior of marine criiters while I'm diving. Today I came across an entirely new species to tape.

Did four dives today. Was debating the fourth, but decided to go ahead, On my way down, a couple asked me if I was holding a video camera. When I said yes, they asked if I'd be interested in videotaping their wedding tomorrow underwater in the Dive Park! I told them I normally taped marine life. They asked me to think about it while I was underwater.

The fourth dive turned out to be incredible. I was heading back towards the exit stairs and ran into a small school of jack mackerel being attacked by much larger kelp bass. I immediately started filming them. Then I noticed a bird (probably a grebe) had dived after some of the mackerel. I got that on film too. Will definitely be interested in seeing this footage! As I was heading towards the stairs a leopard shark swam right in front of me and I got some footage of it. First one I've ever seen in the dive park!

When I got out I told the couple that I'd film their wedding underwater for $150 (since I figured it would take about 3 hours to film, edit and produce a DVD for them, that's a break on my posted $75/hour fee). They said yes and we will meet tonight to hammer out the details.

So not only did I find a new subject to tape during courtship behavior, I also had great luck with the OTHER most important function of any species- feeding! What a great day of dives. Tomorrow the wedding and filming the fireworks from 20 feet under in the dive park.

Wonder if any other SB members have videotaped a wedding. If so, what do you normally charge?

Doc

Bill,

I don't do wedding video, but my still wedding photography normally works out to about $200/hr. I believe the video is normally more depending on geographic location and quality.

If the idea of doing this interests you, I would recommend getting a signed contract and full payment up front.

I will send you a copy of my standard contract if you would like to modify it for your needs. Put something in writing that lists your deliverables and manages their expectations. The less planning or money a couple puts into a wedding, the less happy they usually are will everything. There are exceptions to every rule.

Payment several months prior to the event is standard in all parts of the wedding industry. I don't know how many stories I've heard of marriages dissolving prior to the wedding album being picked up- sometimes even before previewing the proofs.

Sounds like lots of fun.

Good luck.
Brian

Hey Bill, Aloha!

I've shot a few underwater weddings myself. They can be fun and a lot of work at the same time. I know by now you've already completed the project. It wouldn't be out of the question to get $200 - $300 for doing it. I usually take part in the planning, set-up and execution of the dive so it's more than just shooting and producing a tape. You know, topside wedding videographers get much more than what we're charging and they stay dry and get to have cake and some bubbly too.

I hope to do more underwater weddings. One we did was featured on our local TV stations weekly local community news channel as the story of the week. It was great to be a part of it. We had quite a production and a lot of my friends saw the show. It was on right after the Superbowl!

Is anyone else out there doing something like this? I'd like to hear about your experiences.

Ah-Lowwwwww-Haaaaaa!

Shaka Doug

The shoot went fine... in fact I've summarized the experience in one of my "Dive Dry with Dr. Bill" newspaper columns archived on my web site under Products/newspaper column.

The couple was most appreciative and gave me more than I asked which was nice. I enjoyed meeting them and was invited to party with them that night. Nice couple and an unusual experience.

Dr. Bill

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom