U/w Photog in Coz / Compare to GT

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

peterjmaerz

Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Hello fellow wet ones,

Considering some options for a late-October week of diving. After lots of time on the web and the board, leaning pretty hard towards Coz with Aldora and Las Brisas. Also, though, looking at Grand Turk and, finally a return to one of my faves, St. Vincent. Love the idea of the vis and swimthru's of Coz fame (have not been either there or G.T.) , but a couple of questions come to mind:
Are the drift dives in coz swift enough to hinder photography? (I'm no pro--just using an Olympus 3040 digital with internal strobe) and, if you've experienced both (as I know from the board some of you have), would you choose GT or Coz for overall dive pleasure and/or photo ops?
Thanks for your time...

ps....I've read the Doc's extensive GT overview: it's great and very informative.

Glad you enjoyed the GT trip report.

I'm not a photographer, but I regularly dive Coz with many who are serious types. It is my impression that, yes, the drift dives there frequently are swift enough to hinder photography. You can always leave the photo gear on the boat at those sites where the DM predicts the current will be camera unfriendly.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

In my limited Coz experience (2 week-long trips), the current does hinder photography and videography on many dives. Not all though.

I still brought my camcorder on every dive, but many times I couldn't get the angle or stay still enough to get good footage. I think videographers have it worse since we like to film the subject while staying rock still for 10-12 seconds.

Don't be too discouranged. I'll take the diving on Cozumel over Grand Cayman, Little Cayman and Turks and Caicos.

I still have to go to Bonaire, which I hear is macro video/photo heaven.

Thanks guys...

Ronrosa, you may want to check out the aforementioned St. Vincent for spectacular Caribbean macro opportunities. Countless frogfish, seahorses, flamingo tongues and more otherworldly critters are the specialties of Bill Tewes of Dive St. Vincent. No current, warm water, 6-diver boats, 90-minute dives and Bill, who's a dryly hilarious Texas expat who thrives on every dive and is often the last one out of the water.
It's a bit of a haul to get there (changing planes in Barbados is an adventure involving long lines in a very modern concrete Sauna), but a serene pleasure once you've landed. (Very pretty island topside as well).
I've also dived Dominica on two occasions, and, on one of them, hooked up with professional underwater videographers who were gushing on the subject matter there as well.

Best,

been to coz, belize, and GC.

it's hard to compare the 3, because they're all the same but different. the viz is fantastic at all 3 places. water temp is awesome. and that beautiful torquise water is just mind altering.

coz = drift dives 90% of the time. excellent colors, and huge life.

belize (ambergris) = great diving. great colors, but not as much life as coz.

GC = some drift. excellent colors and life.

depending on what you like to do at night time after diving...my favorite place thus far has to be GC east side. 7 mile beach is for the birds.

right now, i'm all about checking out places i haven't been before. next trip will probably be to the south pacific some where...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom