U.N. High Seas Treaty (4 March 2023)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

NothingClever

ScubaBoard Sponsor
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
190 nations agreed to set up protection zones to safeguard 30% of the world’s ocean outside of territorial waters.

With some nations having a boundless appetite for the ocean’s bounty and commercial fishing enterprise at a staggering scale, this is a welcome step forward from the U.N. Nonetheless, I imagine Dr. Earle may be only slightly enthused and rather ask if we can get fewer but the more powerful nations to sign up for the remaining high seas. I imagine she’ll say 30% is just a start and I‘d agree with her.

As the Foreign Policy article points out, implementation is key and it’s where I think we will see which nations really care about the ocean. I suspect some nations will find creative ways to skirt the spirit and letter of the law. And while I believe in the charter of the U.N., I’m not naive about its challenges and effectiveness in rigorous enforcement.

Still, this seems like a positive step forward.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom