U-clip for Goodman handle

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

gsk3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I just got a Goodman handle that I'd like to mount my Dorcy Penetrator II (the one Piranha sells) to. It has two holes for bolts spaced about 1 1/4" apart to mount the can light head to. Instead I'd like to find a U-clip that holds the backup light, ideally secured with a cable tie or other method of making sure it doesn't just pop out of the U-clip. I'll likely add a cable tie for security, although if I can devise a way to have it be secured (in addition to the tension from the U-clip) that can also be removed/replaced easily, that would be ideal.

Any suggestions on where to find such a clip with nice properties (e.g. rubber-coated so it doesn't scratch the light up too much, bolt holes in the right places, etc.)?

Thanks.

I just got a Goodman handle that I'd like to mount my Dorcy Penetrator II (the one Piranha sells) to. It has two holes for bolts spaced about 1 1/4" apart to mount the can light head to. Instead I'd like to find a U-clip that holds the backup light, ideally secured with a cable tie or other method of making sure it doesn't just pop out of the U-clip. I'll likely add a cable tie for security, although if I can devise a way to have it be secured (in addition to the tension from the U-clip) that can also be removed/replaced easily, that would be ideal.

Any suggestions on where to find such a clip with nice properties (e.g. rubber-coated so it doesn't scratch the light up too much, bolt holes in the right places, etc.)?

The simple solution would have been to buy the clip that Piranha is selling for the Dorcy :). They used a clip (that according to the markings) was made by Mag Instruments. It's basically 3/4" ID so maybe you can find one.

Here is a picture of Piranha's handle. The clip is smooth plastic and doesn't scratch the light. It holds the lamp securely but does allow it to rotate. In the picture you can see a small piece of webbing which I added to the base of the clip. With this addition, the Dorcy is prevented from rotating in the clip, thus making it easy to turn the lamp on and off with one hand. When in use I have been running a small bungee loop from the from the base of the clip over the top of the lamp so that is almost impossible for it to get knocked out of the top of the clip. The Dorcy's wrist loop is around my wrist anyway, so it can't get lost.

Attachments

• IMG_0157b.JPG
    IMG_0157b.JPG
    163.1 KB · Views: 767
I'll try McMaster-Carr if I can't find anything locally.

As far as Piranha's handle goes, is it:
Low Rider Soft Handle Complete "Large Size"
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/images/485.jpg

Or "Low Rider Handle for HID 10 watt lights"
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/images/1034-1018.JPG

or "Low Rider Handle"

or is the one which comes when you order the light different yet?

Thanks for the tip. I imagine given that they want $30 for the handle I'll probably just home-brew a solution on to the goodman I've got. I'd rather have a hard handle than a soft one anyway. I find the soft ones to be hard to work with.

Thanks!
Ari

I'll try McMaster-Carr if I can't find anything locally.

As far as Piranha's handle goes, is it:
Low Rider Soft Handle Complete "Large Size"
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/images/485.jpg

Or "Low Rider Handle for HID 10 watt lights"
http://www.piranhadivemfg.com/shop/images/1034-1018.JPG

or "Low Rider Handle"

or is the one which comes when you order the light different yet?

Thanks for the tip. I imagine given that they want $30 for the handle I'll probably just home-brew a solution on to the goodman I've got. I'd rather have a hard handle than a soft one anyway. I find the soft ones to be hard to work with.

It's the one they list for the Pennetrator, Hog, and Mini Deep Star (not the large one). The flat elastic bungee material they used for the handle and the anodized aluminum plate seem to be the same in both models you listed. My guess is that they simply use a different-sized plastic clip. Since Maglites are so widespread, I was just thinking you might be able to order the plastic clip somewhere. The clip was obviously made to hard-mount a small Maglite (like to the dashboard of a police car). Good luck with your project.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

The simple solution would have been to buy the clip that Piranha is selling for the Dorcy :). They used a clip (that according to the markings) was made by Mag Instruments. It's basically 3/4" ID so maybe you can find one.

Here is a picture of Piranha's handle. The clip is smooth plastic and doesn't scratch the light. It holds the lamp securely but does allow it to rotate. In the picture you can see a small piece of webbing which I added to the base of the clip. With this addition, the Dorcy is prevented from rotating in the clip, thus making it easy to turn the lamp on and off with one hand. When in use I have been running a small bungee loop from the from the base of the clip over the top of the lamp so that is almost impossible for it to get knocked out of the top of the clip. The Dorcy's wrist loop is around my wrist anyway, so it can't get lost.

That is a Maglite Auto Clamp. You can get them on Ebay, Zbattery.com or a bunch orf other places. They make them for Mag Cs and Ds and may be minimags as well.

I've used the Mag Clip for years without any problem. Then one day a tank must have hit the clip and it broke, but since I had another identical clip in my save a dive junk it was a quick fix.

Thanks. I've found some nice-looking delrin Mag-lite clips on eBay and asked him if his hole spacing matches mine (in case anyone needs this for future reference, the hole spacing is exactly 1.5" center-to-center...I just measured with calipers). If it works out I'll post pictures and description when it's done.

If you would like to build one, buy a PVC pipe coupling and cut out a slice lengthwise. Then slowly heat it (if you heat too fast it will turn brown) and bend it to size. Bend it a bit smaller than you want it and let it harden (30 seconds or so). You can then drill your holes to match your handle. I used a dremel tool to sand the edges of the one I made. It is a pretty easy build and turns out looking just as good as a bought one, and holds my light tighter than one I bought. I am using it on a smaller light so I cut the PVC coupling down some, but may end up making another and leaving it full length. Total time involved to make one was about 5 minutes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom