Type II DCS Hit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
Hi Doc,

I took a deserved Type II DCS hit in the spinal cord. My symptoms set in about 6 hours after the dive and included a strange sensation when voiding, tingling in the right leg, and hyperesthesia in both legs. I began a Table 6 recompression session with 2 extensions about 36 hours after the dive (~30 hours after symptoms). In the days following the Table 6, I did one table 5 and two other shorter sessions to 30 ft (~1.5 hr each). Currently, I get a tingly sensation and cloudy feeling in my head from time to time and a "heavy" feeling in the right leg. Only one seems to occur at a time, with the cloudy feeling in the head usually occurring around sleeping. I'm currently receiving medical advice, but would like to hear your thoughts. Should I keep up with the HBOT or have I pretty much gotten full benefit from the 4 treatments? Or is it too late (today is exactly 1 week from the accident)? I haven't noticed many significant changes in symptoms over the last 2 dives, although they were shorter and shallower. Lastly, are these residual symptoms likely to fade with time? Do you have any more general advice?

Thanks,
A Bent Diver
:(

I'm not a Dr., (and have never played one on TV :) ) , but I am a member of the "DCStype 2 club"- I took a hit in 2004.
I can't speak about whether more HBOT would help-my Drs. disagreed with each other regarding the benefits more than a week after the hit.
My longest lasting symptoms-"pins and needles" (paresthesia??) in the feet, ankles and lower legs, and fatigue, lasted 6+ months after the hit.
If I read your post correctly, you are still diving- a week after the hit?? While still having symptoms?? That jumped out at me as a big No-No My Drs. would have crucified me !
Have you contacted DAN??
Good Luck in your recovery.(and maybe stay dry for a while??)

haha, no my doc calls the HBOT sessions "dives", so I meant the last two HBOT treatments. No, I haven't contacted DAN, I am not a member. Will it do me any good at this juncture? I already have a dive doctor now. Thanks for the response, Mike. Are you back to normal now?

That's a relief!
I guess that, from a physics point of view, they are dives!!
As I think back, Chamber crew in Grand Cayman, where I had my "adventure", used the same terminology, and referred to the person operating the chamber as "driving the chamber".

As far as I know, DAN will give advice, suggestions, referrals even if you are not a member.

I am basically back to normal now. I went back to diving about a 20 months after the hit. I was cleared to dive after 10 months, but jobs, schedules, etc. got in the way. My hit was "unexpected" based on the dive itself, but I do take things lot easier now.

Best wishes for a quick and complete recovery.

Back
Top Bottom