Type II DCS Caused by..SWINE FLU??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another thing that crossed my mind...
I work in very high RF environments. I'm regularly exposed to non-ionizing radiation in the broadcast radio and TV frequencies. I visit these broadcast sites so often that I can't recall which days I did and didn't stop by them. I have guidelines and time limits I follow in these environments. These guidelines will not take into account any excess nitrogen buildup...
Any thoughts?

Another thing that crossed my mind...
I work in very high RF environments. I'm regularly exposed to non-ionizing radiation in the broadcast radio and TV frequencies. I visit these broadcast sites so often that I can't recall which days I did and didn't stop by them. I have guidelines and time limits I follow in these environments. These guidelines will not take into account any excess nitrogen buildup...
Any thoughts?
[flippant] What kind of reception would I get if I hook you up to my TV? [/flippant]

To answer your question, I am not aware of any studies on the relationship between non-ionizing radiation and decompression sickness. If you choose to wear a tinfoil hat for protection (just in case), I'm sure that a few regular posters in the Pub could lend you theirs. Some of their comments on recent threads are so ridiculous that I wonder whether they are joking. Their logged-dive-to-post-number ratio ain't lookin' too pretty either.

Glad to hear that you're feeling better after your chamber treatment...

Chris,

Hope you have a speedy recovery with no long term effects.

Kelly

Back to the topic -- H1N1 experience in our area, and some of the news reports, indicate that the cough (and the mucus causing it) hangs on for a good week after the flu temperature subsides. Could that be the reason the MD blames the flu -- that the lungs were not as efficient?

{disclaimer - not a dr, md, or anything remotely resembling medical personnel}

Back to the topic -- H1N1 experience in our area, and some of the news reports, indicate that the cough (and the mucus causing it) hangs on for a good week after the flu temperature subsides. Could that be the reason the MD blames the flu -- that the lungs were not as efficient?
So you propose: mucus -> inefficient gas transfer in lungs -> DCS (due to "trapping" of nitrogen in the body)
Please elaborate (or clarify if I misunderstood).

For now, I'm sticking with my thoughts on the matter (Post #15 of this thread). Probably something to do with the inflammatory process (body's response to infection). Still open to other ideas, though.

So you propose: mucus -> inefficient gas transfer in lungs -> DCS (due to "trapping" of nitrogen in the body)
Please elaborate (or clarify if I misunderstood).

For now, I'm sticking with my thoughts on the matter (Post #15 of this thread). Probably something to do with the inflammatory process (body's response to infection). Still open to other ideas, though.

Just following up on Baby Duck's (#7) post. . . . and deducing that from the news reports as being a big difference in 'regular' and H1N1.

Of course, H1N1 is also being very mild in those not-at-risk, but seems to wreck Hades on the susceptable. (again, news stories)

If I were this diver, I'd get a PFO test, especially with neuro symptoms on a dive where no one else had any problems.
@TSandM: Lynne, I was under the impression that studies have only shown an association between the existence of PFO and severe neurological DCS. Is ModulationMan's clinical picture consistent with the severe neurological form? I would think that his pain and sensory abnormalities would place his occurrence on the "less severe" end of the spectrum.

Even if the existence of PFO were determined, would it be advisable for him to undergo PFO occlusion procedure? From what I read, the procedure is not without risk. I thought that the current recommendation for recreational divers found to have PFO is simply to alter decompression procedures to decrease venous bubble load. Perhaps that is what he should be doing anyway.

My thoughts on this matter are largely based on the DAN webpage article and its source publication, an editorial in UHS co-authored by Moon and Bove.

Any thoughts on this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom