Tympanoplasty

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmsdiver

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Could someone please explain the ramifications of pressure and tympanoplasty and is this an absolute contraindication to diving.

Thanks in advance :)

Hi jmsdiver,

The issue of absolute contraindication requires specification of exactly what procedure was performed. However, it doesn't look bright according to http://www.scuba-doc.com/entprobs.html .

You may wish to a consult with an ENT expert in dive medicine.

Best of luck.

DocVikingo

Thanks for the link. I had a prospective customer ask me this question, and it was my opinion that the person should not dive. Just thought I'd run it by some others here too just to clearify.

Tanks :)

Just out of curiousity, what exactly is "tympanoplasty"?

Hi scubabunny,

Tympanoplasty is a term referring to surgical procedures designed to correct damage to the tympanic membrane, also known as the ear drum. In divers, the failure to equalize either during descent or ascent ("reverse squeeze") can result in tears or perforations of the ear drum that do not heal on their own.

Best regards.

DocVikingo

Any opinions about those divers earplugs? I have heard that they can help, especially in colder water.

I've had two tympaoplasty procedures. The first one failed and the second one took, 26 years after the first try. I successfully snorkled for 7 years then tried diving.

I did 36 dives without trouble, but on the 37th I developed a small hole. There was no obvious barotrauma. No problem with congestion or equalization. Water conditions were a moderate 64 degrees F. with a 52 degree thermocline at 50 ft. I noticed that I could get air through my right eardrum when I did a final equalization at our bottom depth. Since I had a hood on, I just kept pumping a little air through, keeping my ear dry by forming a bubble inside my hood. Finished the dive, surfaced without any extra trouble. The hole spontaneously healed within three days (lucky, lucky).

A tympanoplasty is more delicate than your original equipment. The chief risk one has with this condition is that your eustachian tube may have been adversly affected by whatever condition damaged your eardrum (tympanic membrane) in the first place. If you can equalize, especially if you have been snorkeling, you can probably handle diving. You need to take it easy with equalization by going down slowly. Contrary to my training I do use a decongestant when diving.

Just my 2¢ worth.

Hi everybody,

i found this thread while doing research on Scuba & Tympanoplasti.

I had ops on both ears when I was 12/13 (1974 & 1975). i was told at the time (and by my mother continuosly over the years) no water sports. So I didn't. I was totally deaf to all intents and purposes before the ops but had almost full hearing after. It is 30 years down the line and I have 20% loss in the right ear and 40% loss in left ear with a bit of low tone issues.

two years ago I met a very nice lady who has been my partner ever since and she dived.

First Dive doctor (well known internationally) said no, as left eardrum did not move at all, and I could not equalise, could not get to 3m, so went to ENT for second opinion, he diagnosed blocked sinuses etc and i had a clearing done. I waited a month after the op (i'm on Flixonase) and hearing improved, got to 3m, waited some more, got to 5m ok, no problems, waited a bit longer and got to 7m, still no problems so did 30m dive.

Got Doctor to sign off PADI forms and started OpenWater in Jan 2006, completed with no ear problems, am 1 Nav dive away from advanced having done Nitrox, Bouyancy, Night & Deep so far. Have completed 12 dives so far, majority between 12m & 18m, one to 30m and only once did I have an ear issue and that was only because we had bobbed around a bit between 3 & 5m and the right ear did not respond well. I timed out the dive and no further problems.

After the dives, the ears are fine.

Regards to all

earless

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom