TX50 vs Flathead6

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

sndt1319

Registered
Reaction score
Well what do you think? TX50 vs. Flathead6. I have heard a lot about the TX50 but what about the Flathead6/ZX combo? Is it a good reg? How does it do in cold water? If all you want to do is say what great regs Apeks are, I saw that already. What I want to know is how the Zeagle stacks up.

The TX50 is a second stage whereas the Flathead 6 is a first stage.

I don't think they really compare all that well.

jonnythan:
The TX50 is a second stage whereas the Flathead 6 is a first stage.

I don't think they really compare all that well.

I don't know the name of the 1st stage that comes with the TX50 normally. If I did I would have said so. I assume it is the one with the swivel that everyone hates so much.

sndt1319:
I don't know the name of the 1st stage that comes with the TX50 normally. If I did I would have said so. I assume it is the one with the swivel that everyone hates so much.

That's the DST. The DS4 is just like the DST minus the swivel. I've never used the Flathead or ZX so I won't comment on them. The Apeks does rock though :wink: I'm sure it works just as well.

As I am sure you heard, Apeks used to make zeagle regulators. Since then zeagle has not changed much. I would agree that the flathead is simlar to the TX100. The only difference is that Zeagle uses a conical HP seat design (very clever) to reduce wear and Apeks uses a conventional seat. As you can tell by testimonial this does not affect performance.
Zeagle regs are about the same in performance as the Apeks. Expexct to pay a little more for the zeagle, but they are covered by the same parts warranty.
The second stages are identical. Most people buying apeks now go for the ATX series which is smaller and lighter than the TX series which are comparable to the zeagle second stages.
hope this helps

any one actually own a Zeagle flathead or DS4 or have several dives on a " borrowed" setup? From the history I've read, Zeagle handled the Apex line then improved the design when they went to SP the on to USD... The ZX does breath dryer than the apex.

tm

scubatexastony:
any one actually own a Zeagle flathead or DS4 or have several dives on a " borrowed" setup? From the history I've read, Zeagle handled the Apex line then improved the design when they went to SP the on to USD... The ZX does breath dryer than the apex.

tm
Not really. I don't have an Apeks bout I have Legend LX (very close to ATX200) and a flathead VI/zx. Both of them breath dry and smooth. Which one is dryer? I can't tell the difference.

I have dove with with the Zeagle Flathead on several occasions prior to buying my Aqualung Legend LX. It's a great reg, breathes easy at depth. Plus my instructor swears by them. I was in the market to buy one for myself when I happened on a "too good to pass up" deal on an Aqualung Legend LX.

Mel
PADI Rescue Diver

I'm not sure if you are looking to compare the Apeks to Zeagle or are you comparing the Zeagle ZX50D to their Flathead VI. Zeagle use to sell the Apeks line of regs in North America for about 20 years. In 2000 (approx) They opted to build their own product line which is modeled after the Apeks line. (Only the names have been changed to protect the innecent). The Zeagle line up goes like this ZX/Flathead VI, ZX/50D, ZX/DS-IV, Envoy Delux, Envoy. All their regs have good quality performance. I have a Flathead and a 50D as well as a set of DS-IV's. I also have a older set of Apeks( Zeagle era) Tech 50D's. The performance of all these regs is comparable.When Aqualung purchased the Apeks line they had to change the names hence ATX 50 was the older tech 50D. The difference in breathing a ZX 50D to a flathead is marginal in performance provided they are setup correctly. Zeagles little Envoy reg is a surprising performer considering it's cost.

Back
Top Bottom