Two Recent Cave Dives

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah we did a 45 min (swimming) penetration up (NoHoch) Parker's to Charlie's line and it was gorgeous. I think we turned right before Charlie's jumps back to the mainline, it certainly zigged and zagged quite a bit as shown on the map.

But on our second dive there I was kinda pooped. We agreed to keep it to 30 mins up the mainline cause Limeyx had gotten a bad charge the day before and wasn't confident that he'd get >1hr from his video lights. But about 20mins in I (leading) realized that the line had switched from a unknotted braided #24 to a knotted twisted #18 somewhere. That really stressed me out cause I knew that I had lost focus at a tieoff (where it had switched) and also cause I had never been past Disneyland before and there was a tiny chance that we had visually jumped onto a different line (we hadn't but its certainly possible with all the micro jumps in there). Overall the one, 4400ft, 85 min dive would have been enough that day. I think it was our 9th or 10th day there so that contributed too.

I was disappointed to see that all of the original arrows in No Hoch have been stolen/replaced.

ps the Blue Abyss is waaayy back there. For me distance is not that big a deal, its remembering all the jumps and twists and turns. Glad you had a fun dive though :)

rjack, cave dives are usually measured on penetration distance, not round trip. Your numbers make it sound like you are swimming at almost a scooter speed. There are still some of the original styrofoam cups with the distances on the mainline in Nahoch. Not many but there are some still there so that is cool. The less well known systems have the explorers original markers in them because the idiots that move this stuff don't bother to go to those locations.

limeyx, going open water diving with my wife in March. Next cave trip will probably be in the fall. We definately need to all meet down there sometime.

rjack, cave dives are usually measured on penetration distance, not round trip. Your numbers make it sound like you are swimming at almost a scooter speed. There are still some of the original styrofoam cups with the distances on the mainline in Nahoch. Not many but there are some still there so that is cool. The less well known systems have the explorers original markers in them because the idiots that move this stuff don't bother to go to those locations.

limeyx, going open water diving with my wife in March. Next cave trip will probably be in the fall. We definately need to all meet down there sometime.

Ooops did I jumble some distances? Our Parker's to Charlie's swim in No Hoch was ~2100ft (each way), 45 mins in, 39mins out = 40 to 50ft/min on average.

ok I see what you mean, I meant how far we were swimming per day not how far we were penetrating.

I will be in mx for cave1 diving
- May 2-10 (all are welcome :)
- Probably over thanksgiving for a week-10 days (not yet booked)

before I bite the big one (for me) and sign up for C2.
That will give me about 100 C1 dives, so I think it seems like a reasonable place to be.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom