Two questions

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PerroneFord

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Hello all,

I have two questions.

1. Does anyone have video of a bag shoot, from BEGINNING to end? I've seen the ones online, but what I'd like to see is a video of a diver who has to rig a bag and shoot it. Does the bag stay in the left hand after it is pulled? The online videos don't reflect this and show the bag switching hands. So it got me curious.

2. I did a practice dive carrying a stage yesterday. Two things struck me. First was that it felt the tank was laying quite low off my body. What I'd like to see is pictures of how far away from the body a single stage should be. The other thing that struck me was the noise. The stage was not rigged with an eye toward DIR, but I can't imagine it would be all that different. Do you find when you carry Deco/Stage bottles, they rattle around a bit?

Thanks for your thoughts.

A deco bottle or a stage? stages tend to hang a little lower/heavier than deco bottles. Are they catalina or luxfer? Catalina are quite a bit heavier than luxfer. Ocean or Fresh water?

When you say it's not "rigged with an eye toward DIR", what's that mean? Are you sure the boltsnaps are on long leashes causing this issue?

And as far as rattling around... what exactly are you doing? Are you keeping your upper body sound or are you flopping your trim and attitude around?

Stage... AL80. I think it was a luxfer but I won't swear to it. Wasn't my tank. And this was just a pool practices session. Though I do tend to do some pretty serious pool practice dives.

Not rigged with an eye toward DIR means that the owner of the tank (and who prepared the rigging) is not a DIR. The leashes did not seem inappropriately long, but I need to look at some rigged bottles to compare.

As for the rattling, I noticed it mostly when I was changing attitude in the water (going head down and flattening out a bit) or helicoptering.

Spectre:
A deco bottle or a stage? stages tend to hang a little lower/heavier than deco bottles. Are they catalina or luxfer? Catalina are quite a bit heavier than luxfer. Ocean or Fresh water?

When you say it's not "rigged with an eye toward DIR", what's that mean? Are you sure the boltsnaps are on long leashes causing this issue? When I was just swimming around it was fine.

And as far as rattling around... what exactly are you doing? Are you keeping your upper body sound or are you flopping your trim and attitude around?

It's hard to expect that piece of gear can be handled properly if it's not rigged correctly. Try Luxfer Al40 or Al80 (not completely full) properly rigged to get the exact feeling how this looks like.

PerroneFord:
Stage... AL80. I think it was a luxfer but I won't swear to it. Wasn't my tank. And this was just a pool practices session. Though I do tend to do some pretty serious pool practice dives.

Not rigged with an eye toward DIR means that the owner of the tank (and who prepared the rigging) is not a DIR. The leashes did not seem inappropriately long, but I need to look at some rigged bottles to compare.

As for the rattling, I noticed it mostly when I was changing attitude in the water (going head down and flattening out a bit) or helicoptering.

What was in the AL80 and how full was it? If you fill it full of air or 32%, then it might lie oddly. Generally an 80 stage is going to have some helium in it.

W/out seeing a pic of the rigging, kind of hard to say what was going on though. Stages can move around a bit, and you sometimes have to give them a nugde with your arm to get them sitting properly.

I've only dove an AL40 though, which is plenty for my diving. The 80 practice comes later :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom