Two Humpback Whales In Sacramento???

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Jim Ernst

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
The Sacramento bee news paper and the news is showing pictures of two Humpback Whales that apparently got lost and have gone the wrong way from San Francisco and have ended up here in Sacramento CA!

The Coast Guard Is at this time protecting them from the many on lookers and they are attempting to get the whales back on track by hearding them back the oppisit way down the Sacramento deep water channel.

I hope they can save l these lost wayward giants!!

Isn't it crazy? My kids and I were watching the news about it this morning. I went to Sacbee's website and they are saying how officials are trying to keep people from hanging out on the levee to keep the animals' stress level down and I was pissed to see in the picture gallery, most of the picks were of people hanging our and cars driving in like it was a big bumper party!
11.gif

Way to help out freakin news media.

/the rescue effort starts tomorrow and I really hope they can get them both out safely.

Hey Buck.

I hear you buddy, That is part of the reson I decided not to post the news link, though it really dosent matter, I just hope they being in fresh water so long and so much stress on them dosent kill them.

I also wonder if their isn't already something wrong with them as to make them end up where they dont belong?

Happens from time to time. Anyone remember...<ahem> "Humphrey the Humpback whale?" That was some years ago. She (I think it was a she) cruised on up the North Bay up around the delta for some weeks before heading back out. Think another came around about seven years ago. Hey, even whales get lost (or maybe just need a vacation). Perhaps there's good eatin' there in El Nino years?

RikRaeder:
Happens from time to time. Anyone remember...<ahem> "Humphrey the Humpback whale?" That was some years ago. She (I think it was a she) cruised on up the North Bay up around the delta for some weeks before heading back out. Think another came around about seven years ago. Hey, even whales get lost (or maybe just need a vacation). Perhaps there's good eatin' there in El Nino years?

You know thats right, I had forgotten about Humphrey.
Well I hope they make it back to sea unharmed!

Wasn't Humphry lured back out by some guy that was playing the sounds a male humpback makes when they have found food? I think it was something like that?

I don't know if that plan would work in this case being it's a Mother and her calf. Curious to see how they attempt the rescue. I also wonder how they initially came up this path. She might have been spooked by something and was wanting to protect her calf and that started the journey. Who knows? Maybe she just wanted to show the kid around you know? take the scenic route!:D

They got Humphrey back to the ocean the same way they are leading and pushing these two back, by playing the music of feeding whales in front of them, and banging pipes behind them. Whales do not like loud noises, hence why environmentalists are so pissed at the Navy for their underwater testing using extremely loud noises.

What also sucks about these two whales is both have had prop strikes. We don't call it the dirty Delta for nothin', so hopefully the poor water quality does not cause any problems.

All the Humpbacks I have seen along the west coast was very exciting, we would get all excited and yelling wahoo and the likes, the whales seemed to like the attention and would stop and start breaching for us, then swim on. We would then drive up the coast further and wait for them, same thing would happen again.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom