Two fishies I can't put a tag on

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Deefstes

Contributor
Reaction score
Johannesburg, South Africa (not close enough to th
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi there Boarders,

I have two pics of fishies that I photographed which, for the life of me, I can not find in any field guide.

Both were taken at Sodwana Bay on the north-eastern coast of South Africa (so these should be bog standard Indo-Pacific fish). The first one was photographed at around 08:00 and the second one around noon.

They were both seen around the reef at about 15m (50ft) but I have little recollection of their sizes unfortunately. I wouldn't think that either of these two were much bigger than 20cm (8 in) nose to tail anyway.

Sorry if the pictures aren't great but thanks in advance.

Attachments

• Unknown 1.jpg
    Unknown 1.jpg
    156.1 KB · Views: 110
  • Unknown 2.jpg
    Unknown 2.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 104
Last edited:
it is hard to tell much from a top view of the fish, the first picture I dont know, but the second one if I had to guess would be some species of Serranid or Lutjanid, that is the best I can do with those pictures.

They both look like Serranids to me, but it is difficult to tell from the top view in the picture. The second one might be an Epinephelus aeneus aka white grouper, but that's a little south of its range.

Awesome, thanks for the help everybody. I would not have had any idea to look under Blacktip Grouper for that second one but you're dead right. I would assume it's a juvenile then?

As for the first one, I had considered Parupeneus macronemus and Parupeneus rubescens but I just could not be sure. I guess I'm still not sure but at least you've confirmed to me that I'm in the right family.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom